View Full Version : From flat stock gold to finished diamond cluster

ddd
04-18-2003, 03:35 AM
One of George Dailey's signatures is the stone cluster in gold or platinum
setting which adorns the handles of his gorgeous folders. George documented
the whole process of making the stone cluster while creating the beautiful
little folder for my book "Art & Design in Modern Custom Folding knives".
The "Patriotic" Mosaic Damascus aptly named "Stars and Stripes" is the
forging art of Gary House. George Dailey's description of this feature of
his unique art, in words and pictures, is part of his 8 page section in the book.
He named the process "From flat stock gold to finished stone cluster".

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p0d1d2de86bfb91063daa2793c9f01731/fc51a0b9.jpg

Shown here is the finished art folder that I now have at home and could enjoy
photographing myself.
David Darom (ddd)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/pbd4dd09e5ca22c100e488e3da1a9eea7/fc590d31.jpg

Jamey Saunders
04-18-2003, 07:42 AM
WOW! That's an amazing piece. I'm at a loss for words. It's simply gorgeous!

Osprey Guy
04-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Jamey-

Sounds like you haven't gotten the new book yet. David's nice enough to have been sharing these out-takes but you really should do yourself a huge favor and buy the book...just about every page is filled with pics like these and it's a very sizeable "coffe-table" book. To the best of my knowledge it's the most spectacular book on the genre ever produced.

But then you've heard me say this more than once or twice before...:D

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!:smokin

Jamey Saunders
04-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Where would I get the book from? I might have to make that my birthday present to myself toward the end of May.

ddd
04-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Dennis,

One of the reasons for posting pictures of folders made by artists I really admire
is also to try and get them involved in the Forum. I am sure others would benefit
from what they can say about their art. I managed to get Dellana in, hoping Van Barnett
will follow. Hope George Dailey gets the message and joins in too... If they photograph
their knives before shipping out to the collector, this could be a good place to let the
world enjoy it as well.

David (ddd)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/pbd4dd09e5ca22c100e488e3da1a9eea7/fc590d31.jpg

As mentioned before, Tim Herman, Arizona Custom Knives and Bud Lang at bladesinternational.com have copies on hand...

Osprey Guy
04-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Jamey-

I was lucky enough to get my copy at ECCKS when it premiered. I've got it filled with autographs with many of the featured makers, as well as the title page signed by none other than our good (and generous) friend here, author-Dr. David Darom!

If I had to buy another today I'd get it from Tim Herman. It's only $65 bucks plus shipping (a steal), and you can always ask Tim to sign it. Hell, in addition to his alloted 8 pages, he's probably got another half-dozen pages or more showing or discussing his awesome work.

Just go to Hermanknives.com, or direct link through members.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!:smokin

cwp
04-18-2003, 11:49 AM
I have to agree with Dennis, I just got my book from Tim Herman, it was easy and was here fairly quickly (anticipation for something so highly recommended is hard:D ). The other nice thing about Tim's site is you can use PayPal to get the book. You have to pay the paypal fee, but for me it was worth it for the simplicity of the credit card order.

Dr. Darom, This is a wonderful book. It is hard not to just sit there and thumb through it reading about what each maker has done. Thank you very much for producing this book.

Speaking of the book, I don't have it with me, and can't remember the name of the artist (heck I have trouble with my name sometimes:confused: ) but one of my favorite pieces in the book is the one with the gold spider in the handle. Something about that knife just clicks with me.

--Carl

ddd
04-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Carl,
Your taste in folders is more than good... You chose the Fred Carter- Jim Kelso
collaboration knife. The "Leaf and Spider" folder was made as a collaboration between Dr. Fred Carter and Jim Kelso for the 1995 Art Knife Invitational show in San Diego. Jim Kelso did the inlay of gold and silver, but was not able to attend the show due to a fire which destroyed his workshop and damaged the knife. Dr. Carter brought the partly burned folder to the show, where it was added to the Marton collection. The folder was refinished and blued losing none of its original beauty. Overall length 6 1/2". (Text is from the book too)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p79371fd6457a9c4319734511eeddfb7f/fc512d8e.jpg

Fred had to get it back from the owner to photograph it for his section in the book. How
lucky for all of us!!!! Just imagine, such a wondrous piece of art could have been hidden away
for ever...
David (ddd)