View Full Version : First Grind

gwriffer
04-16-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm grinding my first hollow grind tonight on my first knife which is a drop point hunter 7 3/4 inches long. I would like to hear some good advise and some do's and don'ts. I need input PLEASE !!!.

GW :)

Ray Rogers
04-16-2003, 10:39 AM
There have been quite a few threads on the subject of hollow grinding. Use the blue Search button at the top of the screen to find them.

If you haven't done it before, I would recommend that you practice on some scrap steel first. Hollow grinding takes practice.

Here's the basics:

1. Mark a center line on the edge of your profiled blade

2. Use an old belt on your grinder. With the edge down, grind the square corner off the knife's edge down close to the center line. This will help prevent the sharp corner of the steel from shaving the grit off a new belt

3. Put on a new belt. Now, with the edge up and your elbows tucked into your sides for control make the plunge cut near where you want it. Don't cut all the way to the centerline and don't plunge all the way back (at the ricasso). You'll move the plunge back a little as you go successively throught finer and finer grits.

4. When you have held the plunge cut, move forward towards the tip of the blade. Try to stay in one place long enough to make a hollow 'dent' that you can feel. Don't let things get too hot. Don't worry about it being too nice and even at this point. Do the plung on both sides of the blade.

5. Working a little on one side and then the other keep grinding that initial groove, working your way towards the spine. Sway your body to move along the edge. Don't go all the way to the place where you want your final grind line to be with the coarse belt. Be careful not to cut all the way to the center line.

6. When the hollow part has all the metal removed that you want to remove and the grind line is pretty good, switch to a finer belt. Work your way up to the grind line and in towards the center line. Finer and finer until you get where you want to be.

Don't go too fast or try to take too much metal at one time. Practice, practice, practice...

Jamey Saunders
04-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Here are some threads you will find helpful:

http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8375&highlight=hollow+grinding
http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4455&highlight=hollow+grinding
http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13430&highlight=hollow+grinding

The best advice I have is: Practice.

Get some wood and practice on that first. It's cheap. When you have the hang of grinding on the wood, get some cheap weld steel from Home Depot or Lowes and practice on that. Once you have the hang of grinding on metal, try grinding your blade. Be prepared to screw up your first few blades. Happens to everyone. Still happens to me, and I've been doing it for ten years.

And welcome to the CKDF!

C L Wilkins
04-17-2003, 03:55 AM
There is a knife club in the area that meets over in Deer Park on the first Wednesday of every month. It may be worth looking in to. Ask the folks at TKS about the details and contact information.

Craig

gwriffer
04-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Thanks Craig! I will look into that.

GW

gwriffer
04-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Well I read all the threads on hollow grinds and got some responses from you good gentlemen. So I went home from work and started grinding. i made my plunge cuts on both side and I was sceptical at first if I was doing it right. I continued grinding and then I " fell in the grove" and things started looking better. I was aproaching the wheel slowly each time on both sides and from time to time things got a little weird but nothing that couldn't be remedied in a couple more grinds. One thing I didn't notice was that I had put one heck of a taper from the ricasso to the tip. I started correcting this problem and I thought I might could have saved it but the blade got to thin towards the end and it was evident at this point that this was going to be my first contribution tomy scrap pile. I had to accept that my first knife was going to be a failure, but that's ok. I read back over all the old threads again and the responses I got yesterday and they make more since now. I'm still not exactly sure where i went wrong but I am looking forward to trying again.

thanks,
GW

Ray Rogers
04-17-2003, 03:27 PM
GW,

I'm not sure where you went wrong either but I'll bet it was about the same place where we all went wrong when we did our first hollow grind. Sometimes, we still go wrong there.

Hollow grinding is the best example I can think of for learning by doing. It really is true when we say 'practice, practice, practice'. You can talk to 100 experts, read books, watch videos, even visit someone's shop to try to absorb the theory of how it's done but you'll learn more in the first hour of trying to do it yourself than from all the rest .....

C L Wilkins
04-17-2003, 04:39 PM
If it got too thin on the tip, just make a shorter blade. You could also put it down and a year or so later you'll pick it up, look at it and finish the blade....or...you'll have a bunch in the scrap heap like I do!