View Full Version : Cool collabs or sets

dogman
03-19-2001, 12:24 PM
I wish I had pics for this one. What interesting collaborations or matched sets of knives have you seen coem from makers? There are a few that stand out in my mind that I have peronally seen.

One was a set of switches made by John Smith. It was four knives and each had a playing card theme (heart, spade, diamond, club). All four had matching deep blue mammoth bark and blued damascus bolsters and blade. I don't remember if Hank Rummel or Gary Shaw had the set, but I think it was broken up, becuase no one wanted to put out 20K for the set.

Another was an entire set of consecutive serial numbered Loveless knives from the 1972 catalog. Every knife in the catalog was represented. Many had the Loveless/Johnson trademark, as that was Steve's time at the Loveless shop. J.W. Denton had that collection.

Some that I have only seen in pictures that I would like to have seen in person are the Big Five, a set of five drop point hunters by Steve Johnson with superb engraving by Firmo Friccassi and the set of five matching integral fighters made by Deitmar Kressler.

I like the idea of folder/fixed blade sets, especially when both knives are of the same fundamental design. I definitely plan on doing some of those in the future for my own pleasure.

I personally have a goal of one day creating an entire chess set out of folding knives. I am not a serious chess player, but the concept seems pretty cool.

ansoknives
03-19-2001, 01:19 PM
this is the best I have done...(actually it?s the only set I have made). Have a 3 blades ready for another set. Also 3 differnt sizes.

http://ansoknives.com/cityset.jpg

Specs are: Dammasteel blades and bolster, Mammoth ivory, homemade Titanium mosaic pins. Sheaths are frogskincovered

viper5192
03-20-2001, 08:38 PM
***business promotion belongs in the announcement section***

CKDadmin
03-21-2001, 09:09 AM
Jens,

One of these days, would you do a tutorial on making those homemade pins?

That set looks sweet, too! Of course, they are "Anso's", as all of your stuff is excellent ...

Alex

JerryO13
03-21-2001, 11:07 AM
I know that Ed Chavar makes a folder and fixed set that are matching (except you can see the pivot pin) other than that materials, shapes and sizes are exactly the same.

ansoknives
03-22-2001, 02:34 AM
Alex: Sure! it would b with out pics though...I only have a pic of the finished one. Or you could send me a Digital camera and I wil shoot some pic for ya. I will ofcourse return the camera when I am finished with it.....