View Full Version : What Knife Style has Served you the Best?

dogman
05-17-2001, 10:44 AM
Since I live in a urban environment, a fixed blade is not really a carry option for me. I carry a liner-lock folder and it suits 100% of my knife needs every day. Blade length is just over 3 inches. I'd like to carry a custom blade, but I have found the Emerson CQC7 is the perfect knife for me. Since I refuse to pay the $1400 street value on a custom CQC7, I had Mike Smith customize it to my tastes. Maybe someday I will find that perfect custom carry. I certainly am always on the look out and I have tried knives from a number of makers (and I have fingered many knives on Les' table). I haven't gotten my hands on everything so there is still hope, but right now, the CQC7 is it for me.

JerryO13
05-17-2001, 11:08 AM
I rotate thru my knives. Most days it's my Bob Lum Chinese folder (ats34, Ti handles linerlock), I used to carry a Darrel Ralph Apogee (cpm420v, Ti handles framelock) daily, but since the Lum has got the newness factor, it generally gets the nod. On office days that require meeting clients (means suit generaly, or shirt, tie and slacks minimum) I either carry my Lourens Prinsloo "Wilbur" (440c, ss bolsters, rosewood handles) or my Larry Chew TKCL 99 folder (damsteel blade & bolster, g10 handles). I just got my Dale Reif TKCL '00 folder (George Werth Damascus, mokume bolsters, desert ironwood handles) so now this one will end up in the mix too. All of these knives have clips except for the Prinsloo which I carry in a Willam Henry clip sheath. These blades have always covered every knifely need I've had.

When the going gets iffy, I carry some factory knives, either a Microtech LCC (154cm) or a BM 940 Osbourne (154cm) axis lock or in real sheeple country a Spyderco Calypso Jr. (gin1 ?) non-serrated.

I've also been known to secret a RJ Martin kuzoka (A2) or Fred Perrin LaGriffe (1075) upon my person. I also carry a Trace Rinaldi TTKK, Talmadge Tactical Kitchen Knife (bg42) in my backpack. This pack is my travel anywhere pack from a weekend to up until 5 days.

In any case I carry a Wegner SAK every day in addition to any of the above. It's the cigar cutter model.

So I would say that what serves me best is what I have at hand at the time. I vary it for fun or for work.

DC KNIVES
05-17-2001, 07:55 PM
Dogman,I am shocked!!!! The perfect EDC is the one you make for yourself.Dave

ERIC ELSON
05-21-2001, 01:21 PM
As far as blade style goes for me the most handy in the urban environment I live in has been the Wharncliffe or sheepsfoot.
Heres my EDC, I made it for myself about 14 months ago. The only time I don't carry it is at school(no knives allowed)or other such places.
http://www.homestead.com/elsonknives/files/EECinternet.jpg
Its Fairily small and thin and with IWB carry concealex sheath its invisible, does all I need for the most part.

Eric

dogman
05-21-2001, 01:41 PM
That's a mighty fine design there. Looks very comfy for the hand...

Don Cowles
05-21-2001, 02:59 PM
Bob- I'm curious why you think a small straight knife is not suitable for an urban environment. I live in one of those too, and carry one of my small knives with the sheath clipped to my shirt pocket every day.

dogman
05-21-2001, 03:17 PM
Don, I work in an office. Sometimes I work in a government facility. A non-kitchen fixed blade exudes a certain aspect that most people cannot deal with. Even with a tactical folder, if I pull it out, I can use the magic words "pocket knife" and it subliminally calms folks. I bring knives into work occasionally to show people, but they know I am a knifemaker, so it is no big deal now, but generically speaking, a folder suits my personal environment perfectly.

JerryO13
05-21-2001, 03:59 PM
Don, on the law front, In NYC no fixed blades allowed! So it's folders for me.

Dana Acker
05-24-2001, 09:30 AM
This is what we Neo-Tribal types use for daily carry.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1274559&a=9438039&p=39914423&Sequence=6&res=high

Hey, it's a jungle out there.

Dana Acker
05-24-2001, 09:36 AM
Naw, not really. :) This is what I really carry for daily use. I also use a Wayne Goddard Spyderco, and a couple of multitools too.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1274559&a=11256762&p=49089345&Sequence=0&res=high

Forged from 1084, integral/forged guard, desert ironwood handles.

Don Cowles
05-24-2001, 10:31 AM
Although I own, and often use, a few folders, I can usually be found with one of my small straight knives clipped to my shirt pocket. They serve for opening mail and packages, slicing bagels, cutting string, and carving steak in a restaurant.

Dana Acker
05-24-2001, 12:00 PM
Hey Don, I've taken mine out more than once in a restaurant when I found the steak knives to be substandard. Not exactly passing the ABS test or anything, but I happily carved up my porterhouse with surgical precision, while shocked onlookers stabbed, sawed, and grumbled about dull restaurant cutlery.