View Full Version : Hollow grinding question?

Alex Cole
04-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Hello to all!

On the knives I have made so far I have been encountering some hollow grinding difficulties. Where I am having trouble is how to hollow grind to the tip. Do you pull the Handle end of the knife away from you so that it takes the tip of the knife to the point? I don't know if I am doing a good job of explaning what I mean....... Also when getting to the point of the knife do you keep holding the knife horizontal or do you start swinging the knife with the curve of the edge to keep it uniform? I have looked over the posts on grinding and I just havn't found much info that covers these questions. The problem I have been having is getting a clean crisp grind line clear to the tip. It alwase seems to flatten out. Sorry if I am not making any sense. Thanks for any input.

Alex Cole
www.geocities.com/alex_cole78

Jamey Saunders
04-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Alex Cole
Do you pull the Handle end of the knife away from you so that it takes the tip of the knife to the point? ... Also, when getting to the point of the knife ... do you start swinging the knife with the curve of the edge to keep it uniform?

Yes, and yes. I do a little of both. I pull the handle toward me and rotate it down a little. The combination of the two seem to give a lighter tip, at least for me. (That gives me some of the benefits of a distal taper without having to actually taper the blade.)

I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way. Experiment, and do what works for you. The above technique works for me.

By the way, the more sweeping the curve of the edge, the less I rotate the handle. That is mainly because the angle of the edge from horizontal when you get to the point is less than for a deep bellied blade.