View Full Version : Minor bolster victory...

Chris Daigle
03-29-2003, 12:58 PM
Just finished peening the bolsters on my latest hunter. All seemed to go well. No halos to be seen yet. But then again, I've only taken the finish to 220 grit.

My question is this: Will a finer finish reveal problems at the pin area? I'm pretty sure than I swelled the pins well enough. And I used all of the advice given in the past...clean the pins with acetone, etc. Both the bolsters as well as the pins are stainless.

Here's a pic of the bolsters...

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/daigles/bolsters.jpg

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

Don Cowles
03-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Do the finer finish, Chris. If problems show up, you can go back to a coarser grit, and peen harder next time. ;)

Chris Daigle
03-29-2003, 06:13 PM
:lol Sage advice as always Don, thanks. I always figured I could "back off" the finish". I whacked these pretty hard. I mushroomed the tops of the pins until they were almost flush with the bolsters themselves. I wouldn't mind the satin finish at all for a finished product...

I might mention that I used JB Weld underneath as was suggested in another thread. This helped keep the bolsters stationary while hammering. That helped a lot! :D Not to mention the water resistance considering I'm using D2 on this one...

Chris

GANNMADE
03-29-2003, 09:01 PM
hey ,chris looks good.and remember if it don't fit FORCE IT:D

Chris Daigle
03-29-2003, 10:54 PM
Clay, in other words "if it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer"?!?!?! :D

Chris

GANNMADE
03-30-2003, 01:33 PM
NO ,I WAS JUST JOKING:D HEY I GOT SOME ELK WANT TO TRADE
SOMETHING.

Chris Daigle
03-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Sure Clay. Send the email! :D

Chris

NedFig
03-31-2003, 01:08 PM
Hey, what are yall doin? We need to have a Houston Area Get-Together!