View Full Version : tortoise shell?

doublearrow
03-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know a company that carries tortoise shell scales? I am looking for something with that look to make the handles and haven't found any with the two companies that I use.

Chris Daigle
03-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Could you use a synthetic material? Texas Knife here in Houston carries celluloid material in that pattern...

Chris

Ray Rogers
03-22-2003, 06:31 PM
I'm pretty sure no one carries tortoise shell because it is a product of an endangered species. Basically, it's illegal. Maybe you could stumble across some very old material but I've never seen any.

I think Chris' suggestion is as good as it gets for a tortoise shell look...

doublearrow
03-22-2003, 06:43 PM
sorry about that guys I should have been a little more specific, i am actually looking for the imitation stuff, just something that dosen't look like cheap plastic. As far as texas knife maker's supply has anyone else had any trouble ordering from them or getting information from them? thanks for the replies

Chris Daigle
03-22-2003, 08:52 PM
As for Texas Knife, I've never had problems ordering because they are right down the road from me. Great people to deal with. :D Have you had any issues with them in the past?

They carry the celluloid material in several patterns. As for looking like plastic, well it is plastic and depending on how you finish it out, you'll get different results. It works fast though! And wear a respirator.

Ray, are you saying you've hunted down all the available killer turtles out there? :eek: :p

Chris

doublearrow
03-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Yes I have had troubles with TKS, I'm only a newbie and have ordered from them two different times, I've actually received the order one of the two times, and it was about a week after they told me it would be here, being only a few hours away I didn't think it would take that long. The other one I never received, and I can't ever get them to answer any emails, they send notifications that they received my email and they will send an answer shortly but I never get them. Calling them hasn't helped me either, it may all be coincidence but it just kind of irked me. I am going to keep trying though maybe we can get it worked out. Also do you have to wear a respirator if you are doing everything by hand (i don't have access to one)? Is the material dangerous or is it just a precaution?

P.S. i'm not trying to bad mouth TKS, the whole reason I tried them in the first place is because I heard what a good company it was.

Chris Daigle
03-22-2003, 09:36 PM
With a company that provides supplies worldwide, it wouldn't surprise me that someone even in Texas encounters the occasional problem. ;) Call again, and ask to speak with Alice. If she's not available, ask for Lance. Both should be very helpful.

If you're working the material by hand, there should be no problem. It's a synthetic of the nastiest kind when grinding is why I cautioned. Back it up with a white spacer for the best look. Aside from looking good, it helps with the thickness, which is pretty thin (I'm not sure of your application).

Chris

doublearrow
03-22-2003, 09:40 PM
I'll try that, and I appreciate the help.

GANNMADE
03-22-2003, 09:44 PM
AND IF THAT DON'T WORK GET JIM ON THE PHONE AND GO TO WEARING HIM OUT:D THEY RATHER MAKE YOU HAPPY THAN LOOSE
YOU AS A CUSTOMER:D THEY SENT ME CRACKED SCALES BEFORE
AND WHEN I LET THEM KNOW GAVE ME A GOOD PAIR AND TOLD ME TO KEEP THE FIRST .:)

Chris Daigle
03-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Clay,

I'm sure that will work too! :lol
No one wants to risk a customer to a misunderstanding.
Get back to hammering bro! :D

Chris

Ray Rogers
03-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Chris,

No, I can't claim to have ever killed a tortoise although I did see a very large one in the desert around El Paso when I was a kid.

In the 30+ years that I lived in and around Houston I lost count of the times I stopped my car in traffic on FM 1960, got out, and helped a box turtle cross the road - often to the applause of spectators.

Their numbers have declined for all the usual reasons, I suppose. Now that I live up here in the frozen north I don't get to see turtles any more (bears, yes, turtles,no) so I pass the torch of turtle protection on to you buddy....