View Full Version : Mother Nature brings a smile

Terry Primos
03-21-2003, 12:29 PM
A few nights ago I was sitting in the den watching TV, when I heard my younger daughter pull up in the driveway. A few seconds later I heard a gasp and a bit of commotion. The front door stays locked with a deadbolt so I headed out the garage which is quicker than going for a key to the door.

My daughter said that she thought a bat or something had buzz bombed her under the front porch. The porch light was not on, so we weren't sure exactly what had happened or why.

Since that time I've finally figured it out what the deal is.

http://home.sport.rr.com/primos/images/front_door.jpg

My wife makes decorative wreaths for our front door. There is one for each season as well as for each holiday such as Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Here's what I found.

http://home.sport.rr.com/primos/images/nest.jpg

I don't know my birds, but some tiny little bird ( wren, finch, sparrow? ) has built a nest in the wreath on our front door. :D The momma bird has gone out for a smoke break or something, so I ran out and got a quick shot of this.

J.Arthur Loose
03-21-2003, 01:09 PM
That's gotta be a good luck sign, Terry!

SharpByCoop
03-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Life is good. Sometimes it's excellent! Great story. I hope you can keep that family going. Keep us posted!

Coop

Jamey Saunders
03-21-2003, 02:49 PM
With all the crap hitting the fan in the Middle East, it's good to see signs of spring, signs of new life, new birth.

Mother Nature surely did bring a smile. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Deck H
03-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Terry, My wife does the same thing with wreaths. However, no birds, usually wasps, hornets, or an occasional geeko to eat the misquitoes.:)

KnifeWife
03-21-2003, 05:20 PM
I think that's too cool! :)

Gene has a family of finches that come back every spring and make nests in his shop (with added "offspring" too). The first year was in my motorcycle helmet hanging on the wall. (Needless to say - that helmet isn't worn anymore). Each year the size of the family grows and they come back each spring. It's been neat keeping up with them. My kids feed them and make sure there's water available during the heat of the summer. They don't mind all the shop noise (and there's lots) and they know the cats and dogs can't get to them. We don;t even look for the nests anymore. They fly in and out with us around all the time. We've had them coming and going for about 6 years now.

Roger Gregory
03-22-2003, 05:40 PM
I hope you like using the back door Terry, no disturbing those birds now :D

I love it when these little birds decide we're harmless enough that they'll nest right next to us, like on your front door and in Geno's shop.

Last year our resident pair of blackbirds raised three broods of chicks in two different nests in our garden and yelled at us anytime we tried to use the patio :D This year we have at least three nests of sparrows in the hedge...

Roger

mikec
03-25-2003, 08:26 AM
My mom-in-law had a simular thing with a window ledge at her office. It was kinda a wooded area and I believe it was a Robin setup shop and had 2 little-ones. It made for a plesent working enviroment to everyday be able to look out the window and see how her little family was doing even up to the day they left. Moma Robin never came back to that spot again, we were supprised.

Terry Primos
04-07-2003, 06:43 PM
UPDATE
Well, it's been a little over two weeks now. Momma bird just went out to pick up some supper for the hungry crew, so I ran over and got this shot.

http://home.sport.rr.com/primos/images/birds.jpg

All are doing well.

SharpByCoop
04-07-2003, 07:48 PM
:D

Roger Gregory
04-08-2003, 06:09 PM
Lots of hungry mouths to feed.

thanks for the update Terry :)

Roger

whv
04-08-2003, 06:15 PM

Terry Primos
04-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Update
Well, those ugly little things are starting to lose the fuzz and get some real feathers. They almost look like birds now.

http://home.sport.rr.com/primos/images/birds2.jpg

I see that momma bird has been pooping all over my door, but that's okay. We've got a new door sitting in the garage waiting for them grow up and fly off anyway.