View Full Version : Educate the old man!

Terrill Hoffman
07-18-2001, 05:26 PM
I was trying to explain different knives to my wife (she thinks there are two types, pretty & ugly). So guys, what makes the difference between the types of knives? I know blade shape has a lot to do with it and we can all understand that. What I'm talking about are the differences that makes a knife a "camp knife" or a "chute knife" Is the finish the only difference between a "tactical" knife and a good "utility" knife? Where a "skinning" knife needs a certain blade shape, what makes a "hunting" knife? Basically, I'm asking for a few difinitions?
Now don't give me that look! My wife already has.

Don Cowles
07-19-2001, 06:10 AM
Tall order, Terrill, but let me see what I can put together that might shed some light. I'll post more later today.

Don Cowles
07-20-2001, 05:51 AM
Terrill, check out the collector tutorials. I tried to define some basics. Thanks, Bob & Alex!

primos
07-20-2001, 12:54 PM
Good job Don. :)

ansoknives
07-20-2001, 02:17 PM
second that!

Terrill Hoffman
07-24-2001, 10:35 AM
Thanks Don, now I can almost sound like I know what I'm talking about. Now what is that sharp thing-a-gig that keeps cutting me?

Don Cowles
07-24-2001, 10:37 AM
Could it be your rapier-like wit?

;)

Don Gwinn
08-13-2001, 10:38 AM
IMHO it's a lot like music. People try to categorize everything and sellers try to create categories because it makes it easier to do business. Try to tell whether a song is goth, heavy metal, speed metal, post-metal, industrial, post-industrial, industrial goth, death metal, hardcore, thrash, thrashcore, deathcore, or metalcore by listening to it. Most people can't go much farther than telling metal from other kinds of rock and roll, and there's a reason.

CKDadmin
08-13-2001, 10:49 AM
Nothing like playing with your new knife with some Rob Zombie blasting away in the background ...

"Hey, hey ... I'm the one that you wanted!"

:)

Alex

dogman
08-13-2001, 01:49 PM
You got your fried shrimp and your boiled shrimp and your shrimp scampi and blackened shrimp and shrimp sandwich...

Terrill Hoffman
08-13-2001, 04:08 PM
What ever happened to R&B? I don't know about everyone else, but to me, all metal is heavy.