View Full Version : Repairing a cracked wood scale

Osprey Guy
03-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Several months ago I sent my Ltd. Edition William/Henry back to their shop to deal with a problem I was having with the Ivory Micarda scales...

It ended with them replacing the micarda with breathtaking burled redwood scales. They are quite amazing, rivaling some of my most beautiful sets of Burled Desert Ironwood.

I was informed at the time that they had just purchased the redwood and Matt personally selected this set for my knife...

Since receiving it I've kept it in sitting in the original bed of cotton in the small gift box, sitting in my desk drawer. I brought it out today to show a friend, the owner of a local pen shop who's used to looking at fine objects of this nature...To my astonishment, while looking at the knife he announced "The handle is cracked."

Sure enough, there is a very small fracture coming from the edge in the middle of one of the scales...I don't want to start yet again sending it back to William/Henry, as I feel they've done enough already.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this small, almost imperceptable crack before it starts to spread? CA maybe?

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!:smokin

AKmik
03-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Hello Dennis,

Depending on how it was finished, this may work. Mix some 2 ton devcon then thin it with some acetone, then use a pin or needle as an aplicator. If you are careful you can usually use it without getting all over the finish, or just mask it off.

Another would be minwax wood hardner applied the same way.

I have used the devcon on cracked gunstocks with great results.

If its stabilized just use straight devcon, apply and wipe clean.

see ya

Osprey Guy
03-13-2003, 03:28 PM
How's it going? Haven't talked with you for awhile...

How are things going for you out there? Find any "bones on the beach" lately? :p

Thanks for the tip...I figured the answer was something along those lines...just never had this happen to me before...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah baby!:smokin

PS. Make any Snakewood knives yet?;)

Chris Daigle
03-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Hey Dennis,

This is kind of a timely post for me. Recently I had cracks apear in some African Blackwood I was working. Taking the advice of several people here, I tried some CA that was rubbed into the crack with a rubber glove. I came back with 600 grit sandpaper to start and moved up through the grits. The crack almost diappeared. I say almost because the light would catch the CA and it was a little more glossy than the surrounding areas. With your situation, I bet it would blend into the surrounding figure of the burl.

Let us know how it comes out whatever you try. :D

Chris

Jason Cutter
03-14-2003, 12:43 AM
The same Devcon 2-tonne - a tiny drop and aplied some heat - heat gun and the epoxy bubbles, softens dramatically and wicks in well, but the trick is how much heat to use. Burl woods are inherently unstable (even when "stabilised") because of the uneven grain pattern so they do all sorts of weird stuff. My concern is that the heat would also cause some deformation of the wood and cause more damage.

The very thinnest superglue idea is probably the best you can do short of sending it back. You'd have to keep sanding it back and be careful about those shiny spots.

Dunno if that helps any. Cheers. Jason.

jakenife
03-14-2003, 01:16 AM
Hi Dennis,
I have repaired a lot of cracks in stabilize wood. I use thin CA. It will soak into the crack and should stop it from getting worse.
Good luck
Frank

Ansoknives
03-14-2003, 02:02 AM
I would deffently use Ca....Zap-Ca is my favorite...use that on many natural cracks in burls and such ..its easy to work with...not messy as epoxy and it sets emediatly...and the best part is that even though its clear when set you cant see that...it appears like dark and HARD!

aiiifish
03-14-2003, 08:47 AM
CA is definately the way to go. If the CA catches the light after you finish the scale out you might think about refinishing the scales with CA. You'll end up with a great hi luster finish.

Steve

Double S Custom (http://doublescustom.tripod.com)

Don Cowles
03-14-2003, 10:07 AM
CA all the way. And, if you are condered about shininess of the finished crack, try packing the crack with some fine sanding dust from the scales *before* applying the CA.

Osprey Guy
03-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys-

I figured CA was probably the right solution...

Now I'll have to pick through one of the umpteen different brands I've got on hand...including every conceivable thickness...some of the "Gold" variety I've picked up recently have no scent...which is an absolute pleasure...

Many's the time I've been working with CA, even with my respirator on, and eventually the fumes somehow got through to me...but not with the new stuff :D

Happily it comes in just about every thickness. I got mine at the local hobby shop but I see where Grizzly carries the brand as well...I'm at work right now but as I recall it's Smith Industries (or something like that)...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah baby!:smokin

whv
03-14-2003, 08:23 PM
dennis -
bob smith industries packages one of the widest ranges of ca products available. good stuff in my experience. next time you visit the hobby shop, look for their ad in one of the airplane mags. then, if you go over to the ca rack, you may see the identical packaging with the hobby shops' name on it - they do this labelling on order. same stuff.

Ansoknives
03-15-2003, 11:43 AM
use it as thin as possible.....Zap-Ca is real thin...thats the stuff I use. If I see a crack I usually sand with 400 grit on the handle...that will fill the crack..then Ca...sand and Ca.

Jlott
05-18-2003, 08:21 PM
fix this problem is STOP THE CRACK FROM SPREADING FURTHER,
you do this by using the tiny-est itty bitty hair thick drill bit you can find.. you drill at the point of the crack..by putting the teeny-ist hole at the point of ANY crack.. IT WILL STOP IT DEAD IN ITS
TRACKS...then.. THE REST IS COSMETIC TOUCH UP WORK TO REPAIR THE CRACK, THE HOLE IS SO SMALL..AND YOU DONT WANT TO FILL IT WITH A SOLID..AS THAT AGIAN WILL ALLOW THE CRACK TO TRAVEL..YOU JUST RUB SOME WAX INTO THE HANDLE
AFTER REPARIING AND POLISHING THE HANDLE..AND THE HOLE WILL DISSAPEAR....

WORKS ON WINDSHIELDS TOO..BUT YOU HAVE TO USE A DIAMOND BIT AND FILL THE HOLE WITH A CLEAR
EPOXY..