View Full Version : Ebony Hunter

Tim Adlam
03-12-2003, 04:40 PM
http://www.fototime.com/%7B43E750FD-AB07-4FB5-870E-30C791DCC04E%7D/picture.JPG

This one received the full treatment.
With bolsters that big...it was hard to resist!

ATS-34 tapered tang blade, 416 bolsters, ebony scales, 24k gold main veins in the relief scroll pattern, and raised gold beads on the bolts.

This knife will be on my table at the Badger Knife Club Show next weekend.

Hope you enjoy...it was a pleasure working on such a fine knife.

Tim

Don Cowles
03-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Beautiful job, Tim!

Jamey Saunders
03-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Great work, Tim. I love good engraving, and the gold is a nice touch.

Darren
03-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Very nice Tim !! Love the flow of the leaves :D

whv
03-12-2003, 07:56 PM
yes, beautiful work tim. nice knife, too.
thanx

ron p. nott
03-12-2003, 09:32 PM
beautiful work tim .. the engraving looks great and the phots are just as good.. i guess i have to take some time and study coops info on taking pictures .. hey.. keep up the good work and we all would like to see more of your work...

BrianT
03-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Very nice work Tim. The design has wonderful depth. The leaves appear to be growing above the surface of the bolsters, casting shadows where the leaves come out above the borders. Thanks for sharing!

Brian

Tim Adlam
03-13-2003, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys,

Your comments...and critiques are really appreciated.

I've been doing variations of this scroll/leaf design for a while now, and I wanted to see what kind of response I get at the upcoming BKC show.

I feel like I'm still taking "baby steps" with the photoshop thing Ron! I try to learn more as time pemits. The tutorials over in the photography discussion forum have been a real help. This shot was taken using my new indoor photo set-up. I know there's more to adjust with the lighting, but I think I'm finally realizing some success with photos.

Tim

Osprey Guy
03-13-2003, 03:18 PM
Impressive as always Tim. You turned a very nice knife into a very terrific knife!

I never fail to be amazed at what some fine engraving can do to enhance a knife...

Can't quite make it out...is there something going on around the pins...looks like they might be engraved...or is that from a mosaic pattern in the pins?

Your photography has taken a quantum leap for sure...That new settup of yours (along with a little bit of newfound knowledge;) ) seems to have made all the difference.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!:smokin

Tim Adlam
03-13-2003, 09:03 PM
Thanks, Dennis!

Yeah, the pins are engraved rosettes, with raised gold bead centers.
I watch the reaction when I hand it to someone for the first time. They seem to like the feel of the small raised beads.
With the relief engraving, it adds a tactile quality to the whole knife. It just feels good in the hand!

Tim

ron p. nott
03-13-2003, 09:34 PM
hi tim .. you do some nice engraving and now you do some real great photos ..i envy you.. what type of camera are you using .i have a nicon 950 with all of the bells and whisels and i cant take photos that good ...

Tim Adlam
03-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Ron,

I use a Canon G-2, that is one year old now. It's a 4 megapixel, with a manual macro range of 2.4 in. to 7.9 in.
It's about the size of a normal 35mm camera, which I like. This things got some "bells and whistles" too!
I'm very happy with this camera. I like the re-chargeable battery pack, and the ease with which it can be hooked up to the computer.
I don't need a separate card reader for the computer, so the memory card stays in the camera all of the time.
Using this camera, and photoshop has really been a learning experience!....I think learning to engrave is easier!...;)
I"m sure that your Nikon 950 should be able to produce good photos as well.
One thing I try to do is to take the best exposed picture I can through the camera. That minimizes the need to use the photoshop software to correct the defects of lighting. Then you can play with the "effects" to your hearts content!

Give me a call, or drop a line ANYTIME you got a question,....or just to shoot the bull!....:)

Tim

ron p. nott
03-14-2003, 09:11 AM
Hi Tim .. Thanks for the info on the camera. I guess my nicon can produce good photos i just have to take the time and sit down and try to under stand this thing.. You are wright it is easer to learn how to engrave than learn how to do this photo stuff..