View Full Version : Best places for 2nd market custom knives?

JossDelage
10-03-2001, 03:59 PM
Hi all,

What are the best places for 2nd market custom knives?

JD

viper5192
10-04-2001, 02:56 PM
You can go to my site ;-) Knives come direct from makers, but i have been told by Les Robertson I am secondary market.

CKDadmin
10-08-2001, 05:30 PM
In that case, CKD is a primary market. You buy directly from the maker or owner.

Alex

Les Robertson
10-08-2001, 05:43 PM
Guys,

If you are not the maker selling directly to the consumer, you are the secondary market.

Alex, since you sell knives for several makers and dealers, primarly by listing them on CKD. Technically, you would be considered a broker, again secondary market.

I am in the secondary market, even though many times the maker drop ships the knives directly to the client.

The primary and secondary market work hand in hand to promote custom knives. For many collectors there is no seperation, as they are primarily concerned with getting the best deal they can.

That being said, to the person who started this thread, what are you looking for?

Les

JossDelage
10-08-2001, 06:25 PM
Sorry, I meant "second hand". Considering that there's probably several thousands custom knives in collections here and there, it's amazing how few knives are up for sell on the net... (For example, I've only heard of a 1 Don Fogg knife, etc...)

JD

Don Cowles
10-09-2001, 04:53 AM
Joss, although the custom knife market is somewhat unique, it is probably more like the fine art market than the automotive market. Second-hand cars are sold as such, but you will rarely see an ad for a "used painting."

Custom knives on the order of Don Fogg's work are rarely put into service. Although they are fully capable of performing the knifely tasks for which they were designed, most buyers purchase them to display, study, fondle, and so on.

Having said that, A.G.Russell's monthly The Cutting Edge catalog probably contains the largest listing of pre-owned custom knives. Available on the web at www.cuttingedge.com.

JossDelage
10-09-2001, 12:16 PM
Thanks, I'll check the cutting edge. And I did mean second hand, not used. Most collectors I know rotate their collection over time - they sell a couple pieces in order to buy a new one, etc. That's what I was thinking about.

JD

CKDadmin
10-10-2001, 09:34 PM
Les,

"Secondary", only in the dealer to customer sales. And, that is a condition created by the dealer or collector who is selling their knives. Dealers are secondary markets by definition.

The knives on the site that are "Maker represented" are "Direct" from maker. No one buys anything from the CKD directly. You are buying directly from the maker or owner of the knife. Call it a "brokering" setup, but that is like calling a mall owner a broker in relation to the CKD. In internet terminology, there is no other site that I know of that operates using this model. In effect, it's the closest thing to a real-time internet knife show that you can create out here. Everything on the site is available for immediate delivery.

The real point is that it doesn't matter. 99% of the things you buy in life are from secondary sources. The bottom line (assuming the price is exceeded by the value) is whether you like the seller. That's the most important point in any buying decision. The only time that people will buy from others that they "do not" like is when there is no available competition.

Alex