View Full Version : Any makers out here at all interested in balisongs?

nybble
02-28-2003, 09:39 AM
Just curious - any makers out here in CKDland at all interested in making balisongs? A lot of us here are always very curious about new makers getting into the game, and it seems like an addictive thing. Both Larry Davidson and Terry Guinn, to name two, started out just making one by request and to try it out but then moved on to making many!

Jamey Saunders
02-28-2003, 10:01 AM
I'm real interested. I've just got to do my homework and figure out the important things first, like what kind of pivot should be used. What are the stop pins made of, and how are they secured in the blade? I'm most concerned about getting the pivot right. I want a pivot that moves with as little resistance as possible, but is strong enough to stand up to frequent use. Once I figure that stuff out, I'll probably make a prototype, just to see if I like it.

tonyccw
02-28-2003, 11:10 AM
If there's anything that you need clarification on, ask away. I'll try my best at answering them.

whv
02-28-2003, 04:57 PM
not knowing a thing about these knives, is there an affordable model on the market that i could obtain which embodies most/all features that you pros like in a bali? i'm thinking of a sacrificial (if necessary) piece that i could use as a prototype for size, weight, balance, etc. i will also be using the typhoon as a model when it becomes available.
thanx

nybble
02-28-2003, 05:58 PM
The typhoon will be *the* best model for learning sandwich construction balisongs. It's quite perfect in that regard. There's not actually anything good cheaper than it - if you want to learn about solid construction handles you could up the price and get a benchmade 4x series ($90-$110 generally speaking) or you could by a "Pacific Style" balisong which is the best of the cheapies. However, it has pins and not screws so you may have difficulty taking it apart....

whv
02-28-2003, 09:02 PM
sort of what i figured, felix. thanx again

Pinoyknife
03-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Yes I Enjoy Making Bali's , Some are "Trickier" than other's but i like a good challenge

http://www.pinoyknife.com

ghen
03-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Or maybe just imagine your way out of the problem, who knows, the next great bali innovation MAY come from someone who didn't know the "rght" way to do it, so just did it their own way.

But yes, the KnifeKits Typhoon for sandwich, and the Benchmades for milled.

PEACE

GHEN

tonyccw
03-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by ghen
Or maybe just imagine your way out of the problem, who knows, the next great bali innovation MAY come from someone who didn't know the "rght" way to do it, so just did it their own way.Jerry, I'm gonna have to disagree. My experience showed that the balisong has one operating dynamic that is radically different than all other folders; and that's the infamous tang pin. Without understanding that single component's function, it'll be really hard to come out with an alternative. Figuring out how to control the handles for manipulation is the genesis of the batangas balisong, and is what distincts it from all the other previous examples of double folding handled knives. Which had more of a focus on safety while closed, than opening with ease.

ghen
03-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by tonyccw
Jerry, I'm gonna have to disagree. My experience showed that the balisong has one operating dynamic that is radically different than all other folders; and that's the infamous tang pin. Without understanding that single component's function, it'll be really hard to come out with an alternative.

My thoughts were running to things like the "zen tang pin", & other great examples of thinking outside the box.

I certainly agree with you that the tang pin, & the understanding of such is CRUCIAL to making a great bali as we know it. but imagine someone who doesn't know about the tang pin, so they imagine a different, perhaps even better solution...hey it could happen.

I wonder what would be the outcome if you held a balisong up to a roomful of engineers from different disciplines, and, without allowing for close inspection, asked them to design one. I'll bet the solutions would be very cool, although undoubtedly many would wind up ith a tang pin.

Ahhh spirited debate, that's what I love about this Forum;)

PEACE

GHEN

ghen
03-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Tony's experience when it comes to balisong design far exceeds my wn, so you might want to listen to him on this one.

PEACE

GHEN

nybble
03-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Heh, well, I agree technically with tony, but that doesn't stop me from agreeing mostly with Ghen. Nothing is technically magical, I think if a maker wanted to experiment around w/out an initial understanding of stop pins, as long as they went in in an experimental mode, some interesting things might happen. Nothing about the balisong is magical, if someone made the balisong "improperly" and discovered that x, y and z kinda didn't work so well - it might result in some very interesting solutions to the problem (even more interesting, the problem to which the solution was found might not even be something that "in the know" balisong designers even thought to change).

So, I think, it's not a terrible idea for a maker to just dive into it. Just don't make your first one out of damascus and black lip MOP. :) G10 or aluminum might be better experimental materials. :)

Pinoyknife
03-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Greeting's Ghen and Tony were you guy's refering to my knives or just general ?? No disrespect intended just wanted to find out if there was a problem in the design's i use ? Thank's

tonyccw
03-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Gerry, Felix: The reason I bring up the issue with the tang pin is because that's the one topic that's tripped up more than a few makers. Even Darrell.

Hopefully both of you are right, and new ways of doing things will pop up.

ExamonLyf
03-05-2003, 06:24 PM
Our first argument....Oh goodie :)...

I have to check in with Tony on this. I agree that "Thinking Outside the Box" can.., and often does, result in highly innovative designs in many areas (not just knives).., but I do think having a sound base of knowledge about "The Classical Box"..., makes that journey beyond far more effective, and also more profitable from an R&D standpoint.

Ideally.., I love the notion of a complete novice coming up with something Earth-shattering, but I do think the more creative designs will come.., and have come.., from guys that were very well grounded "Inside the Box".., before taking those first few steps towards innovation.

Just an observation of course, but using the "Zen-Pin" as an example...., the true "Think-Tank" on that idea had some folks with "I love Tang Pins" stamped on their forheads involved...lol.

ExamonLyf
03-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by nybble
So, I think, it's not a terrible idea for a maker to just dive into it. Just don't make your first one out of damascus and black lip MOP. :)

LOL...., yeah I think we're all with ya there Felix :).., those BL-MOP, Eggerling Damascus "Concept Knives" can get pricey in a heartbeat... :)

Note to Jerry: The consequences of External Box-Thoughts for some of us, ends up with ideas like the Spam-a-Song.., so be very cautious about encouraging "Free Thinking"....lol :)