View Full Version : Hardening Flat Spring Material

chuck
02-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Hi! I'm Chuck and this is my first time to post.

I am making lock back folders and have been using round spring material. However I ordered some flat spring material from Brownells, I think it is 1095, its annealed and I have tried unsuscessfully to harden the material.
Can some one tell me how to do it with a propane torch. I also have a teat treating oven, but haven't tried to use it form spring material. Either way would suite me.
Thanks alot
Chuck

Ray Rogers
02-16-2003, 09:14 AM
1095 is a simple carbon steel and will harden with the same process they all use. Basically, heat it until a magnet will not attract it, then quench in oil. Then clean the steel and draw it back to a blue color for a spring temper.

In your oven, that would be about 1450 F to harden and somewhere around 500F to 700F for the temper...

Gary Mulkey
02-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Chuck,

Unless you are wanting to do the spring temper you can eliminate that step by getting spring stock from the knife supply houses. I get mine from TKS which is a work hardened stainless.

Gary

chuck
02-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the reply. Since I have alot of flat spring stock now, I will try the oven and see how it works out. I assume that I would hold at 1450 degrees for about 15 min and then temper at 500 or so for about 2 hrs.

Thanks alot, mabey some day, when I figure out how, I will show a pic of my work.
Thanks again and I really like the forum.
Chuck