View Full Version : post-etch Damascus finishing

neil1967
02-10-2003, 11:34 AM
I have a question regarding post-etch finishing of Damascus that I'm hoping you all can help with.

I etch, then sand with backed 1500. It works well enough, giving the high spots a shine and taking out a lot of the excess carbon from the low. But, what happens is it seems that the carbon keeps coming out of the low spots afterward, especially since I've done a couple of bold patterns where the low spots are wide. Someone alluded to black baking laquer, and I've also been told to get something called Brass Black by Birchwood Casey. Is this what people do with Damascus to get the high contrast and the black to stay black? I wasn't sure if that's what most people do or if it was a shortcut and there were other methods.

And, if baking lacquer is what people generally use, where might I find some?

Thanks!
Neil

Don Cowles
02-10-2003, 01:06 PM
www.brownells.com

Ansoknives
02-10-2003, 02:36 PM
The way i do it gives me pretty good contrats even though I loose alot of the black in the low areas also...but what that really is is carbondust if i am not mistaken...or at least its the leftover from what has been etched away......I rub with 1200 grit.....before and after...and I get a pretty good contrast.....check this...

http://ansoknives.com/delicate.jpg

Ansoknives
02-10-2003, 02:47 PM
I just read your post in sheathforum...it seems to me like you are not etching very deep..?.....When I have ethced my blades you can FEEL it..! I use H2SO4 for my etching and I like the way it works....just don?t leave it in there too long....

neil1967
02-11-2003, 10:53 PM
I don't seem to have a problem with etch depth. I can feel it. The thing is some of my patterns are really bold, and so even thought I'm doing post etch sanding with backed 1500, I'm still getting some spots where I pull the carbon out of the recessed areas. Personally, I like the more subtle look, but also wanted to know how some folks get high contrast black and shiny. I think it's a) brass black or b) tighter patterns so when going over it with the high grit after etching it doesn't have a tendency to pull the carbon out as much.

Neil

aiiifish
02-12-2003, 07:09 PM
I use cold blue after etch and before sanding. If you end up with a high spot you can use a q-tip and touch it up and resand.

Steve