View Full Version : Selling Knives on Ebay

Alex Cole
02-07-2003, 09:47 AM
What do you guys think of selling knives on ebay. I have been thinking about it even though I am very new at making knives I like the idea of being able to sell some cheap to make money for materials. Does anyone have any pros or cons as to selling on ebay. I would of course let people know of my newbe status in the auction or is that unnessessary?

Thanks for any input.

Ray Rogers
02-07-2003, 12:31 PM
I have spent a lot of time on eBay as a buyer and as a seller although I have never tried to sell any of my own knives that way. Not that I wouldn't, it's just that so far I have been able to sell everything I make without that particular venue.

Look at the knives that are on there. From what I've seen, you are most likely to see either high end stuff like Moran knives or commercially built/imported knives. Knives in the $200- $500 range from unknown makers don't fare too well.

Most people shopping eBay are looking for bargains. If you are willing to sell your knives cheaply enough you can probably move them this way. But, don't expect a big bidding war. I recently saw two very nice railroad spike knives that got one bid each for about $15 and they were clearly worth far more than that - one of them was a collaboration and had an Anza file blade welded into it.

It probably isn't important to describe yourself as a Newbie because your price will say that. You should describe the knife in good detail and especially mention how the blade was made and heat treated and any testing that you might have done with it. A picture will be essential.

Set the starting bid price at the absolute minimal amount that you are willing to accept for the knife. Do not use a Reseve since most people use them incorrectly and the result is a false expectation in the buyer's mind as to the price you really want and consequently the bids are low and no sale is made. Don't make the buyer 'guess' at your price!

The Buy It Now option is very good - use it. Set the value at a price you would be very comfortable with. I have sold a lot of stuff with this option. It helps you get a good price very quickly if someone uses it. Once the bidding starts (if you get that lucky!) this option disappears and it's business as usual after that.

Finally, if you don't have a Paypal account, get one. It helps tremendously with impulse buyers and with your product and price range that's probably your customer base. I have put things on eBay on Sunday afternoon, had them sold with the Buy It Now option, and paid for by credit card through Paypal so that I got my money in 3 hours start to finish...

Alex Cole
02-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks for your quick input. Sence I am starting out and not expecting much I defenatly don't feel that $200.00 is a fair ammount to charge for my knives. I think that is way too much. I realize I am new to all of this and because of that do not feel it to be fair to even try to sell them that high.........yet! With time I will raise my price as my experience grows.

Thanks again

whv
02-07-2003, 05:31 PM
took me awhile, but i found this thread (http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2381&highlight=ebay). also check threads in les robertson's forum - there is a lot of advice/info there on the subject of marketing your knives.

SharpByCoop
02-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Alex, just like Wayne did I took a look back and this VERY same question was also answered in depth in THIS THREAD (http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8933&highlight=Darrell+Ralph+eBay), which is different from his.

You will find plenty of valuable info there. Unfortunately the competition for <$200 fixed using knives is VERY stiff on eBay and you will virtually give them away to begin to get a name.

Also, one of our dominant members, Caveman, sell many of his knives on eBay all the time and has built up quite a following. You would be well-served to talk to Frank privately about this.

Coop