View Full Version : wooden pins...

Linda
02-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Is it ok to use wooden pins to hold the tang and wooden handle sides together or do I absolutely need to use metal pins? I'd be sure to get a tight fit and use carpenters glue to attach everything together. I'm planning to hand-paint a scene on the entire handle, so the metal pins would really interfer with the look I'm going for. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Linda

Gary Mulkey
02-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Linda,

I don't see any reason why wooden pins wouldn't work in this case as long as they are of a straight grained hardwood. Caution: make sure that they are dry and that you use a stable type of wood (one that's not prone to swelling & shrinking). If the moisture level is too high in them then you will get shrinkage as they dry out. The wood won't shrink much in length but rather in diameter which could cause problems. Try putting the dowels in a microwave (on lowest setting) for ten minutes and out for ten. Do this three times and they should be plenty dry. You might even have them stabilized which would be even better.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Gary

Alain M-D
02-06-2003, 05:02 PM
You can try tu use hidden pins to secure your handle on the tang...

Alain M-D

floridafred
02-06-2003, 06:31 PM
I use wooden pins quite often in my handles for effect. I particularly like Black Palm which is natures own mosaic pin. The main thing is to be sure to do all the other things right to hold your handles.
1. properly cleaned tang and handles
2. roughed up for epoxy to grip
3 extra holes in tang for epoxy to hold on to.

They should work out fine.

cactusforge
02-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Linda, Bob Engnalth shows a way to do a blind pin. What you do is drill and tap a tang to say 1/4- 20 bolt size install a short piece of all thread in the tang and cut it to the length needed to secure the scale to the knife and then drill a oversize hole in the scale to accommodate the pin, half way through the scale, apply the epoxy ( a good one ) then clamp together and let it set up, at least 24hr. then dress it down to the fit the tang. This works and is less likely to cause a problem.
I have used this method with good results for a long time. The Engnalth site http://www.engnath.com/ a lot good info on this sit , you might say it is a knife makers manuel.
Gib

GANNMADE
02-07-2003, 08:30 AM
MICARTA PINS ARE NEAT TO USE .USE WHAT YOU NEED THEN
SNAP IT OFF.IT WILL TAKE A STAIN AS WELL:)

p moore
02-18-2003, 05:42 AM
bamboo scewers (sp) also make for natural mosaic wood pins and very straight grain