View Full Version : Knife Trivia anyone?

LPowell
03-29-2001, 08:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think it would be interesting to have a board to post interesting tidbits of trivia about ANYTHING knife related. I, for one, would enjoy it and I know that there are plenty of people out there (especially some of our elder brethren) who could add a few sparks with their broad knowledge base. For instance I learned just a couple of days ago, that Schrade used to produce switchblades till they were outlawed in 1958. Some of you older folks may have been aware of that, and maybe even some you real "knuts", but I'd bet most folks didn't know it. I was told (don't know the validity of it, however) that Schrade actually invented the switchblade.
Larry

Lively
04-04-2001, 11:33 AM
That does sound like a neat forum Larry. I like knife trivia.

I own a double ended switch blade by Schrade with the 1908 patent marks on each blade. Researching it is when I found out the switch blade was invented by George Schrade in the USA. They made a lot of them in the pen knife size which were popular with secretaries as an ezopen knife so it doesnt damage fingernails. Cool American pattern until Kennedy decided it should be outlawed in 1958. Must of been the Brando movies that scared everyone.

LPowell
04-04-2001, 09:42 PM
Lively,
From the looks of things here after my initial post, I'd say that there may not too much in the way of response to the idea. The page only had 8 hits and its been more than a week. Probably most people don't scroll that far down the page to even see the wish list...I know I didn't till the day I made that post. Oh well, I would imagine it'd be kinda tough to find a moderator for it anyway. If I find a piece of trivia that I think might interest Ya, however, I'll post it here. Who knows? Maybe it will catch on. The friend of mine who has the knife I saw actually has two of them and they are both small, double ended as well, in a pen knife fashion.
Larry
BTW
Tried to get to your site...wasn't able to. I'll try again another time.

Don Cowles
04-05-2001, 11:43 AM
Larry, I suspect the problem is that this forum (the CKD) is about handmade, rather than factory, knives. There's a ton of discussion on other forums about every possible aspect and type of factory blade, and so folks might just see it it as irrelevant here. Just a guess.

CKDadmin
04-06-2001, 09:17 AM
Larry,

I caught it the first day you posted it, but didn't reply because I wanted to see what kind of interest it would generate.

You posted it in the right place. Normally, we recommend that you run a test thread on one of the general boards to see what type of response it will generate. If it takes off, then who knows?

Alex

LPowell
04-06-2001, 08:59 PM
Don,
My bad...well, sorta. I didn't intend to start a forum about knives that are outside the scope of custom knifemaking...just *anything* knife related. It just happened that the day I posted this thread I had the opportunity to learn something that I hadn't known about those switchblades I mentioned and thought it might be interesting to someone else. I still am of the mind that this is a fairly good and relevant subject for our forum. Even custom knife making has tidbits of trivia that could spark a person's interest, wouldn't you agree?

Don Cowles
04-07-2001, 10:32 AM
I do agree, Larry- the love of knives is rarely limited to just one form. Let's see what develops.

LPowell
04-07-2001, 06:01 PM
Don,
That was a good answer...some people might have taken my last post as sarcastic, but I assure you of no sarcasm. I will try to add a bit of relative trivia as I find it so as to see if interest might be sparked. I *know* that there are *alot* of people who are very capable of contributing their knowledge as well.

LPowell
04-08-2001, 07:47 PM
Ok here we go. I've had a piece of interesting trivia for the last couple of days that I didn't realize I had. In our Supply Center Forum, there is a thread regarding rail spikes. Inevitably, the thread headed off in the direction of what is the composition of a spike regarding the carbon content. Now I realize that most of the people who view this forum have probably seen the thread I'm talking about, maybe even taken part in its flow of correspondence, but I am posting this for the benefit of anyone who may not have. I am sure that many people have wondered what the lettering on rail spikes represents. And maybe even what the carbon content is for a rail spike (probably only people who forge have wondered about this and just *maybe* people with *really* curious minds ;) ). Here is a link to view the discussion I am referring to: <a href=http://pub42.ezboard.com/fcustomknifedirectoryforumfrm14.showMessage?topicI D=29.topic>Click here and specifically the post titled Spike Composition</a> My two cents and I am offering a challenge to all who enter this thread: Find a small tidbit of trivia related to knives and share it with the rest of us by posting it here.
Thanks, Larry

Geno
04-10-2001, 03:00 PM
I found it now too.
Knife trivia ,Huh? Sounds fun.
I don't know if this fits with the last posts or not,but I find it strangly uncomfortable to live in a country where Congress considers the spring to be the dangerous part of the knife!

I think more people will participate if they could find it easier.This one gets read the least being so far down on the list.(opinion)

Don Cowles
04-10-2001, 05:57 PM
I find it interesting -and heartening- that flint-knapper Errett Callihan had enough confidence in his work that he had rotator cuff surgery done by a doctor using one of Errett's blades for a scalpel. What it means is that those early obsidian blades really *could* cut- and cleanly, at that!

JerryO13
04-10-2001, 06:17 PM
Barry Gallagher made a scalpel that the doc ended up using on him too.

www.gallagherknives.com/fixed_blades.htm (http://www.gallagherknives.com/fixed_blades.htm) look at scalpel

LPowell
04-10-2001, 07:18 PM
Don and Jerry0,
These are *exactly* the type of posts I had in mind for a knife trivia forum/thread. Thanks, guys. Little pieces of knowledge that we have or happen across can be a welcome distraction sometimes when we are in the mood for something a little different. And I think it's safe to say that we all get in that type of mood from time to time. I also want to say that I agree with Gene. I think that more people's interest would be sparked if exposure came a bit farther up the page.
Larry

MIKE KOLLER
04-10-2001, 09:43 PM
Don,
I believe that these blades are finding there way into the medical field more and more.I ,not to long ago ,heard of eye surgeons using them because of their ability to cut such fine lines and leaving scaring to a minimum.

Here is a question for you:Who is the oldest living member(s) of the ABS?

It is just the question,I do not know the answer.:)

Don Cowles
04-11-2001, 06:24 AM
I am betting on Bill Moran, but not with any authority behind it.

primos
04-11-2001, 02:20 PM
The ABS is a large organization, so it would be difficult to say with any certainty. Theoretically there could be a member of just about any age.

But if I had to guess who's the senior "active maker" in the organization, I'd guess Bill Moran. I know that Mr. Moran was born May 1, 1925. That means he is just about to hit 76.

To sidetrack just a little, here's another piece of trivia for you. My home town is part of knifemaking history. The ABS was officially created on December 4, 1976 right here in my home town of Shreveport, Louisiana. The four founding fathers, Bill Moran, B.R. Hughes, Bill Bagwell, and the late Don Hastings, met here in the airport coffee shop and signed the official bylaws.

There's really nothing that special about Shreveport. The way it ended up being here is that Bill Bagwell was living in Vivian, Louisiana. Don Hastings was living in Palestine, Texas. B.R. Hughes was living in Texarkana, Texas. Bill Moran (who's from Maryland), decided that it would be easier for one person to travel, than three. He flew to Louisiana, landing in Shreveport, which was a convenient hub and short drive for the other three.

One more humorous piece of trivia if you'll indulge me.

In his book "Master of the Forge", B.R. Hughes makes mention of an earlier meeting of the group, prior to the official signing of these bylaws. Here is an excerpt:

At one stage of this conversation, Moran thoughtfully predicted that, "If we play our cards right, one of these days we can have 25 members." Privately, I felt that Bill was being wildly optimistic, because there seemed no way that the number of bladesmiths in America would ever reach such a lofty number!

MIKE KOLLER
04-11-2001, 04:30 PM
Now Terry that is interesting stuff. I would like to mention that Bill Moran is retiring from the Hammer-ins according to Terry's post at the 'general knife'.
Terry,
Thank you for posting that and if it is at all possibly I will be there.