View Full Version : ricasso flat/guard

Steve Milliet
02-04-2003, 09:38 PM
i have been trying to find a better way to flatten the ricasso where it meets the guard.

any ideas?

Chris Daigle
02-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Hey Steve,

I have a large piece of glass originally meant to be used as a kitchen cutting board. I tape sand paper sheets to it and rub my flats that way.

What have you been trying and how "off" are your flats?

Chris

Edited to reflect: It's tempered glass. Not sure that it matters or not to the flatness...:confused:

Ray Rogers
02-05-2003, 09:05 AM
I guess we can assume that means you don't own a surface grinder. :D Chris' suggestion is probably as good as anything. Instead of a plate of glass, I use a granite surface plate that I got from Harbor Freight for about $30 .....

Steve Milliet
02-05-2003, 04:25 PM
what i've been doing is putting the blade in a vise (point down) till the bottom of the ricasso is just above the flat top of the vise jaws (for a guide), then file them by hand and sand by hand.

they are as straight as my vise jaws are, but its not consistent and would like an easier, better and more productive way of doing this.:confused:

caveman
02-05-2003, 07:35 PM
I believe you're talking about filing the guard shoulders flat & square, use a filing jig like this one available from Sheffield's Knifemaker's Supply, 1-800-874-7007......great tool at a reasonable price......

http://www.fototime.com/06B93F2A5D72E7A/orig.jpg

Chris Daigle
02-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Ohhhhhhhh, THAT'S what you mean! :rolleyes: Sorry, I thought you meant the flats (which I've had a bear with at times).

The jig that Frank posted is the same one I have. Can't beat the price. It's worked well for me both for blade shoulders as well as guards.

Chris

GANNMADE
02-07-2003, 09:59 AM
OH,I SEE .AFTER I MADE MY JIG ,NOW YOU TELL ME:D

whv
02-07-2003, 05:52 PM
sorry i can't find the thread (half asleep i guess) but i remember a discussion some time ago that resulted in most folks recommending the jig from uncle al's rather than the sheffield. seems there were some quality control issues. they may have straightened that out though. :confused:

Chris Daigle
02-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Wayne,

I remember that thread and it was about the same time I bought mine from Sheffield's. I think the issues were cracks in the fixtures. All I can say is that they must have resolved the problem. I cannot see any problems with mine.

Chris

Terry Primos
02-08-2003, 01:13 AM
I remember the thread as well, but I thought the one that was experiencing quality issues was from Koval. I think I'll go take a look.

But meanwhile, hey, if the one from Sheffields is making the grade, I'd say go for it. The price is sure right.

[ EDIT ]

I found one of the old threads. The one folks were having trouble with was from Koval.

http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3118&highlight=koval

Of course, this is no slur on Koval. Things happen. I've done a lot of business with with Mick Koval in the last 10 years, and have been very happy.

But to get back on topic, Frank, have you been using that one for awhile? If so, and it's been working well for you, I may call Sheffields and order one or two of them to go along with my $95 one from Uncle Al.

[ EDIT ]

caveman
02-08-2003, 09:08 AM
hey, Terry, how ya been? I've had mine for about 3 month's now, thing works great with no signs of any problems.....I always hesitated buying one, just did my tangs by eyeball because of the high price till I spotted this in the catalog and couldn't resist.....great tool, great price, can't beat it......:D

Jason Cutter
02-12-2003, 10:37 PM
I have a heap of precision ground O-1 lying around. That jig might be Do-able with some of the 1/4inch stuff I have - quench, temper maybe at no more than 300F, so its dang hard ? Or untempered ?

I also have problems with getting the ricasso's flat, so the original suggestions are pretty on the ball for that particular issue. I have enormous slabs of canvas Micarta (1-1/2inch thick, 2 foot x 2 foot across) which have very neat cut edges. I glue wet and dry abrasives to this and flatten my tangs or even true up my tapered tangs on these. I always glue the abrasives with about 1/4inch overhanging the edge - it seems to not catch on the blade as much when you rub back and forth.

So far , I've been doing the shoulder by eye - too cheap to buy the jig and too lazy to make one before but I;ve now reached a point where I'm not getting any better at it, so time for a jig. Looking at the work of some guys who use that sort of jig - its quick, its accurate and effective.

Cheers,.

darrylburke
02-18-2003, 08:47 PM
I found this in a book, over the weekend.. have fun..

http://www.burke-consulting.net/images/test.jpg