View Full Version : Peening troubles

Mark_Henry
01-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Hello!

Well, it seems like no matter how hard I try I just can't get my pins to end up "melding" into the bolsters.

I *think* much of my problem is with the JB Weld migrating up the pin and back filling the chamfer so when I peen it keeps the pin from expanding. But then, I'm not 100% on that one. It's probably just an undersized peening hammer, or maybe I'm just not bashing the pin hard enough. No matter what the cause, I'm not getting a satisfactory finished product.

If it's the JD Weld I can fix that - I simply wont use any on the pin. But if it's the peening process itself, then I need to find a better way to peen the pins. I've heard rummors that there's a device called a peening vice. I've tried searching for it on the net and at all the local tool shops but have had no luck.
Anyone have a link to a site, or a company name that woudl carry a peening vice? Or maybe know how to make one?

Thanks,

Mark Henry

DC KNIVES
01-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Mark, I use no epoxy or JB Weld on my bolster pins and you probably are not banging hard enough. This is not the time to be dainty with a hammer. Get a good hammer( some guys use up to 4 pounders), place in down on and anvil or the flat or your bench vise and have at it.Place your shots well and all should be fine.Dave:)

mike koller
01-26-2003, 09:41 AM
I think it has been said here by many to have your pins cleaned well before using or even to have them soaking in acetone to insure that you do not get any haze lines (halos) around the pins when you are finishes.

May want to mic each pin to ensure yourself of the size, they arent always what they say the are :(

Chuck Burrows
01-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Mark-

I think what you are searching for is a pin press.
Here's a link to one Dave Larsen made and posted - cost less than $50.00

http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9533&highlight=pin+press

Hope this helps. I found this by going to the CKD search and typed in pin press, of course I remember seeing it so that helped. Lots more pin peening help though so try the search.
Chuck

RickNJ
01-26-2003, 10:30 AM
I agree with using a big hammer. I use a 4 pound mini sledge and just make sure I beat the crap out of the pin. Also, I have been using a taper pin reamer in the holes. Seems to work for me.

Mark_Henry
01-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Okay, so it sounds like I'm probalby being a wuss with the pins. First off, I've only got like a 9oz ball peen hammer - so that's got to get upgraded. And I've got to take care of the problem with the JB Weld getting into the cracks and crevaces.

I'm already sanding the pins smooth and cleaning with acetone prior to use so I think I'll keep doing that.

Thanks for all your suggestions and the links - you guys are the greatest. I think I'll work on refining the procces first before I look to build a pin press.

Mark H

DC KNIVES
01-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Mark, yes I would say a 9 oz is too small for that.You would end up swinging too hard and could miss your mark.Most makers I know have various size hammers for different situations.I use a 2 oz for the pins on my friction folders and some of the domed type pins found on some folders.A pin press is also good for this.Dainty counts when working with fragile handle materials.Dave:)