View Full Version : Displaying pics..

02-14-2002, 07:37 AM

It seems an inordinate amount of energy is lost and spent helping people to log in to their pics. Most 'get it', but there are soooooo many screw ups.

The Display Case is such a focal center for this entire board, that maybe sticking a small "How to and precautions" FAQ or "New to posting pics? Let us help!"at the top might prevent many of the false starts. If not here then somewhere else. I know there are posts and tutorials, but this is prevalent enough that we need to make it that much easier and accessible.

This might include:

A list of current free sites
Ones that link but don't post
How to link instead
Size of the image and files
Picture quality
Testing with 'preview' before posting to check
Anything else you can think of (please fill in your preferences)

I am willing to write up something for review. Just thinkin' out loud here.


Don Cowles
02-14-2002, 11:48 AM
I like it.

02-14-2002, 08:38 PM
You got it written yet?


Sounds great!


02-14-2002, 10:33 PM
Written yet? No, but if you wish, I will for your review. Give me a few days to make it crystal clear.


02-15-2002, 11:42 PM
<FONT FACE="Arial" SIZE=4>

02-16-2002, 07:53 AM

Above is the tutorial for your approval. I'm certain I have missed something you think is important. Also there may be some word editing that you might feel is clearer. Please go over this and comment. This is not MY document but ours.



02-16-2002, 05:15 PM
Looks good.

My only (picky) comment. :)
With Ezboard code you need to leave the "h t t p : / /" of the address within the bracketed code.

I say leave it here for a few days until it gets fine tuned and then we can make it a "stay at the top" in a couple of the forums - especially the Display Case and the For Sale forums.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Sorry - I was in a hurry. :) These comments are from me - Pat - not Gene. Not enough sleep...

02-16-2002, 09:39 PM

>With Ezboard code you need to leave the of the address within the bracketed code.<

Huh??? ;) Say that again, please?

Also to all,

My thoughts regarding this info is it is NOT for the 10% of our members that post here already. It is for the OTHER 90% who lurk and probably wonder how all of this is done. In time they would get it, but I think we, as the best knife forum on the net, need to give them their best chance at exploring and sharing in this world.

Once you get involved, it's a real draw!!!


02-16-2002, 10:19 PM
This seemed pretty handy to a few folks, why don't you add it in there somewhere....

Looks good! Still will get questions :) , but looks good!!

"http://www.Your Hosting picture.jpg"

might want to change that to:
keep the spaces out to avoid confusion

Don Cowles
02-17-2002, 08:08 AM
...might even want to make "<a href=""">"</a> all lower case.


02-17-2002, 04:03 PM
One more small thing. The image tags in EzCode are:


rather than and

02-17-2002, 10:54 PM

I edited the post with your tips. So far.

I am in FLA for the week, with the worlds SLOWEST dial-up and modem for my usage. I'll be checking in, but one minute between each page is a drag....

Thanks for your time.

Coop (spoiled with fast connections at home!)

02-19-2002, 01:37 PM
add ( for freeware that lets you view and do basic mods to your jpeg's etc.


Jerry, the link wasn't working. I tweaked it a bit. You are right, IrfanView is a very handy little tool. I've used it for quick jobs for a few years now.

[ Terry ]

Well shoot, the main one is timing out right now. Here are all the official sites for IrfanView:

USA - (
Luxembourg - (
Austria (

[ Terry ]

main link is working now 2/20/02 6:34 est

02-22-2002, 04:32 PM
I think this is as done as we need. Alex, if you think it's a valid idea, then edit, copy and repost this somewhere. I would much rather you be the poster of this, as it is a Forum guide and not really a member post. I don't need any further credit.

Post and lock it? Stick it at the top? Somehow reference it? You tell me.

We can comment in a secondary thread to keep this *unblemished*. Of course, as time goes on some re-editing will be needed, but I think it would be a good start to get this out there, at least as is. Whatdya' think?

I'll let you give it an appropriate title.


03-06-2002, 04:54 PM
If this idea is simply going to rest here and die, any chance that we can chase it into the tutorial section to point others in?? Something is better than nothing.


03-06-2002, 05:44 PM
If you still have the original, post it over in the Computer Center forum. I'll flag it as a "Sticky" Topic which will make it stay on top of the list.

If Alex gets time, he may add it to the tutorials section along with Jason Meeks tutorial.