View Full Version : My 2nd ground but 1st completed knife

Alex Cole
01-24-2003, 10:26 AM
I just completed my 1st coplete knife! I can't post pictures outside of geocities so here is a link to my page with the pic. Let me know what you think! I want to thank everyone in these forums for the help and insite you have given me. I wouldn't be making anything worth posting if it wasn't for you!. I tip my hat.

http://www.geocities.com/alex_cole78/2ndhand.html

Thanks

Jamey Saunders
01-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Lookin' good! I'm pretty sure you can post pictures outside of Geocities. Let me give it a try:

http://www.geocities.com/alex_cole78/P1010039_web.JPG

There ya go!

Jamey Saunders
01-24-2003, 12:39 PM
OK.....it's gone now. I guess you were right. I'll never doubt you again!:D

You can use my free image hosting. Go to the Computer Center forum. The post is at the top of the forum.

whv
01-24-2003, 03:51 PM
looks like a handy shape, alex. interesting handle shaping, too.
now, the common advice from those who have gone before: make certain that the next one is better!

Alex Cole
01-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks for trying to link the pix jamey.

Yes wayne the handle is a little different. I just got some measurements from the knife and the blade is just a shy over 1-1/2" wide and the sharp part of the blade is 2-1/2" long. The overall length of the knife is kinda short at 5-3/4" with the handle being only around 3" or a bit under. I have a friction type of sheath that I am using for this knife and the blade fits perfectly into it. The handle shape is my attempt to make the short handle fit comfortably in the first 3 fingers with the thumb or index finger on the spine. I am ginving this knife to my father for his birthday, 1 so he can have my 1st completed knife and 2 so that he can test it by using it. He won't be using it two hard and he really only needs a small knife. The handle was kinda a pinch cause I had a piece of steel that was short and I wanted to get this particular size and shape of blade. The handle though short I think will work ok. I used cocobolo for the handles and plan on using more of this material in the future. I found it wonderful to work with and leaves a great handle when done.

The knives I am working on now are going to be finished to a much better quality. I have a couple blades I am currently profiling for test pieces but then plan on working on some better looking pieces. Now sence im new to this I want to test and verify my heat treat is correct. I am planning on taking some bladest to a local company who will rocwell test them for me and they just informed me that they offer cryo treating also. I am going to look into this and see what I come up with.

Thanks for your comments Wayne and Jamey!

whv
01-24-2003, 08:31 PM
from what i have read, alex, cryo doesn't help plain steel much (for example, o1). but i like your testing ideas. keep up the good work.