View Full Version : Moderator guides and rules outline.

Bob Warner
01-28-2002, 06:52 AM
With the talk of moving and becoming more out in the public view and the possibility of some "problems", I was thinking about maybe setting some guides and rules between the moderators so we know how to react in "Flaming" or "abusive" or "off topic" issues. There are a lot of things that can come up that "I" don't like but may still be fine to have on the forum. Should we set some concrete rules that we can follow on handling things like this? Since I have become a moderator, I have kinda flown by the seat of my pants and can survive like that but it would be nice if we all had the same "outlook" when we see something that may be questionable. It would also be helpful to give to a new moderator so they can see our philosophy on moderating.

Thoughts?

ansoknives
01-28-2002, 07:16 AM
I agree...guidelines would be good....of some kind anyway....Maybe a password restricted area like a "moderaters corner" forum where posts could be discusses if you are in doubt?

primos
01-28-2002, 11:54 AM
The password protected moderator's/administrator's forum was something I suggested very early on, but it didn't generate any interest.

It would be a good way to discuss issues that come up and decide how to handle them. I do think we've been doing a pretty good job just "winging" it so far though.

Don Cowles
01-28-2002, 01:40 PM
I like the idea too, Terry. Another thing I think we should consider is to have moderator privileges extend across all forums. Often one of us might be the "first on the scene" at an inappropriate post on a forum for which we are not listed as the moderator, and can do nothing about it.

ansoknives
01-28-2002, 02:14 PM
Right on Don on the last..! I have often seen posts that should have been locked or edited on other forums than the two I moderate

primos
01-28-2002, 04:58 PM
It is possible I suppose to have moderator's privileges across the forums. That is a decision which would probably need to be made by Alex however. I know we're all like family here, but believe me, there can most definitely be hard feelings when one moderator makes a decision in a forum which is primarily moderated by another.

The way these boards work is that there are various levels of authority. Generally, moderator status is issued to a person or persons for a specific forum or forums. Secondly, there is an administrator's status, which gives the assigned individual full access to any of the forums.

The administrator's privileges are quite powerful and hence, can be quite dangerous. An administrator of course has the ability move, lock, delete, and edit any thread on any of the forums. They can assign or remove moderator privileges. They can also ban or remove users and block out ip addresses. Administrators also have the ability to create new forums, modify the look of any of the forums, as well as lock or remove entire forums. You can see where this could get dangerous.

It's not just a situation of trust when it comes to the safety and integrity of the forums however. An administrator can accidentally trash the whole thing. It is a level of authority which is given out very cautiously. It is assigned to individuals who not only are considered trustworthy, but who have a pretty firm grasp of HTML, CSS, etc.

The highest level of authority on an EzBoard forum is the EzOp. The EzOp is the creator of the forums. He is essentially a super-administrator. He has total control, including the ability to remove privileges from, or even ban administrators. Alex is our EzOp, or super-admininstrator -- a good man to have at the helm.

One of our members started his own forums quite some time ago. He gave admin privileges to quite a few of his trusted members. One day, one of the admins made a slight miscalculation while tweaking and experimenting, and the forums were history. There was no malicious intent, it was just a mistake, but regardless, the forums were gone.

We must be very careful how much authority is given out, and how many people it is issued to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not standing on the podium and pounding the lectern here. I'm just making sure everyone understands how this works and offering some food for thought.

############

As a side note, right now we have four people here who can lock, move, delete, etc., anything you guys feel needs to be addressed. Those four are:

CKDAdmin - (Alex Whetsell)
Dogman - (Bob Doggett)
KnifeWife - (Pat Osborn)
primos - (Terry Primos)

ansoknives
01-28-2002, 05:26 PM
I think Terry is absolutely right.....never did see it that way. Secondly I think that if we DID get that moderators only forum we could guide one of the 4 "sherifs" to the scene or the "deputy sherif"" in charge of that particullar place. Then we don?t need the extra power.

Don Cowles
01-28-2002, 05:32 PM
Makes perfect sense to me!

JerryO13
01-28-2002, 06:19 PM
I still like the idea of a moderators corner (or whatever) if / when we move and it gets bigger and how can it not. When issues will come up that are going to be borderline where a different perspective would be worthwhile. Also if I am involved in debate / arguement, I don't want somemone to say that I locked something down cause I'm the moderator so I did it. I hope that when I do this it is for a good reason. So far I have never had a flame type lock up ever. Mostly it's been to lock down factory knife queries and occasionaly move a thread to a better location.

I think that like most operations CKD gets it's flavor from the top down. If your top people are cool about things it trickles down and everyone is ok with it. The fact that we are concerned about these things way before they happen is a very good sign.

even if there is no moderators corner. Is it possible to at least put together an info list of the moderators. I know that I wouldn't mind letting any of the other moderators have my e-mail, address or phone. Hey Bob Doggett and Jens Anso already have my info cause I bought knives from them.

so what do you think ?

edited cause I had another thought :lol: I re-read Bob's opening post

I don't think you can set up a guide or rule outline, because we are dealing internationaly first problem is understanding each other. One man's english is another man's curse. 2nd is by the very nature of the internet it's hard to read emotion into text. It's why we all use those smilies. A sentence can be inflamitory or a jab but add those smilies and the whole tenor of the words change. I think the only reasonable approach is to look at each post on it's own merits or demerits. obviously if someone is cursing someone out or threatening physical voilence that is a lockable/deletable/tossable offence, but after that what is off limits?

Bob Warner
01-28-2002, 07:45 PM
I just want to know how far to let a flame post go on before killing it. There was a recent post that generated a lot of heated discussion. Maybe it should have been locked a lot sooner than it was, or maybe it should have been left open. If the moderators could have privately discussed this, we collectively would have made a decision we could all be happy with. The others that come to CKD expect us to police things and the police need some guidelines to follow.

If nothing else we could just ask each other if a post has exceeded what we feel comfortable with.

I don't want high level authority over all forums because I am very capable of doing what the other guy did and don't want to be ABLE to do that. What are the chances of making each one of us a moderator over each area with the same level of authority as we have now but don't show our names "Displayed" as moderators for forums we are not moderators for? We would then have an agreement among ourselves that we will not interfear with other forums unless we are certain that we should lock or kill a post.

Glad to see interest in this topic.

primos
01-28-2002, 07:58 PM
Jerry said ...

I know that I wouldn't mind letting any of the other moderators have my e-mail, address or phone. Hey Bob Doggett and Jens Anso already have my info cause I bought knives from them.

so what do you think ?

I think you need a Primos knife. :lol:

Don Cowles
01-28-2002, 08:42 PM
...or perhaps a Cowles! ;)

primos
01-29-2002, 12:29 AM
Bob,
You are an excellent moderator and you're doing a great job. With respect to how far to let a flame post go on before killing it, the answer is pretty much, "when you decide it's time".

It's true that we don't have a written set of guidelines. Alex has assigned the moderator status to you because he completely trusts your judgement. The only thing he asks of us is to think out our actions before we act. Once we make a decision, he backs us. If he really feels that some action should be "undone" or avoided in the future, he will let us know in a diplomatic way. No shame in that.

The folks who end up staying here understand what we are all about. Usually early on in the game. For the most part, the people who visit here for a while and find our atmosphere to be too soft and tame, move on. In a way, the entire forum polices itself by way of the membership's attitude.

Regarding the recent thread you mentioned, I had already locked one down that month with a kind but firm explanation of what was expected here.

A day or so later, Dogman locked another which was nothing more than a continuation of the locked thread. Dogman kicked it up a notch and was a bit more firm than I had been, and added a polite warning.

On this most recent one, because of the allegations, I personally waited to see how the general membership would react. The reactions were exactly what I'd anticipated. The thread changed course, then actually changed topic. When it returned to a heated discussion, KnifeWife stepped in and chopped it off at the knees. I would advise that people not mess with KnifeWife -- she's a momma.

Anyway, when Alex finally sees this thread, we can get his opinion on the password protected mod/admin forum.

KnifeWife
01-29-2002, 01:12 AM
I'm all for a Moderator's Only Forum as long as its intent is for positive use - feedback, etc. I have witnessed on some other forums that a Moderator's Only Forum can be abused. I don't anticipate that happening here.

I am always available. I check in on the forums a lot. I leave most of the discussions to those with more knowledge of knives then me. But I do a lot of "housekeeping". There are many members who have contacted me for help with posts.

As Terry pointed out - I'm the "Momma". :) I see my role here more as a "peacekeeper". I would never want to step on anyones toes - moderator or member.

In that light I offer my info for anyone who needs to bring my attention to any area of the forum. And since I don't make knives you don't have to buy one to get it. (Gene does though.) :)

knifewife@centercross.com
pat.osborn@tccd.net
(817) 451-8243

And as my only reference to the mentioned thread - I'll use a quote my kids use - "When Momma Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy."

We have a great bunch of people. As with any growing family we need to be prepared for any problems. And we will continue to grow as long as we communicate with one another. We are growing eveyday and no one person can be everywhere at once. We need our regular members to help us too.

JerryO13
01-29-2002, 12:47 PM
From my own perspective I, like Terry, wanted to see where "that thread" was going. It seemed to be straightening out of it's own accord and then it started up again. If I could have I would have killed it at that point. I think it went on just a little to long, but not by much.

still I think the info pass along among moderators is a good idea.

as for a Primos or Cowles knife, those will happen eventually, but I have 4 on order right now. A Damascus Katana from Wally Hayes, a Damascus hunter which is a collaboration from Dave Broadwell and Bailey Bradshaw (just paid for this one, should have it any day now), A Wootz Damascus Straight Razor from Larry Harley and the O-1 Aukichi (sp?) from RW Clark that's been the rage over the last 2 weeks. I don't have any worries about the Clark, or the Harley one cause the cost is low and the other is about a year away. The Katana however I am picking up at this years ECCKS and that is in March. Also I have been in the market for a 68 to 74 corvette and would like to get one before the summer. For these reasons I have been holding off on any orders until my other obligations are done. Terry, think hunter or chute knife, Don think secret agent :)

Bob Warner
01-31-2002, 08:28 PM
So, what are we going to do?

CKDadmin
01-31-2002, 09:31 PM
Guy's,

Moderators on CKD have absolute power. If you see something that you don't think is right, lock it down or kill it. You don't have to answer to nobody ... that's why we were careful in picking you.

On the new system, there will be some redistribution of the board controls.

I agree that we may need more coverage on certain boards, as it is. I have been hesitant to ask any of you to take over more responsibility now, because I respect your time. However, if you see areas that need more direct moderation, elect a member and lets add them to those boards to suppliment or replace what we have now.

Let's remember that the CKD is a self governed system. I'm not very keen on adding areas that are "off-limits" to groups of visitors. That's exclusion, and it's offensive to visitors. I want the moderators here to understand that "you" are in charge. We are what "you" are ...

If you need to make a tough decision, use your best judgement and then execute it! Once completed, don't look back!

You have our full backing!

Alex

Bob Warner
01-31-2002, 10:29 PM
OK by me.

Don Cowles
02-01-2002, 07:49 AM
I guess if we feel that anything needs discussion or a second opinion, private email is always available.

Roger Gregory
02-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Just chipping in here as a non-Moderator who's been around since long before the 'great CKD crash'. Personally I've not seen a bad decision from a moderator, all I've seen is common sense and a lot of hard work. Most of us here appreciate there is a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes too. So, don't worry about guidelines, just keep doing what you're doing.

Roger

Bob Warner
02-17-2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Rog.

Good to hear that we are not screwing everything up. We are really trying to make this the BEST place on the web. I think it is working.

viper5192
03-13-2002, 03:02 AM
I am for a Mods only forum, sometimes I need to talk with other mods and would be easier for me.