View Full Version : Rollers for Belt grinder

ragnik
01-22-2003, 08:22 PM
This may seem a little out of the box but is there any reason why you couldnt use the rollers of a useless belt sander to make a belt grinder assuming you have the motor! All it would take is cutting them to the 2" size. Any thoughts thanks!

Ross

ragnik
01-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Also meaning you would make a new base for it and platen. basically following the beaumont metal plans but using the rollers from the belt sander!!

Ray Rogers
01-23-2003, 09:55 AM
You can use anything you're clever enough to use. I've seen pictures of a grinder Wayne Goddard made entirely from wood, including the idle wheel and a platen. Just check the rollers and see if they have bearings in them. If they do, then cutting one down will leave you with a bearing on one end only. Go for it, what's the worst that can happen? If it doesn't work you'll just have to find something else to use...

Mark_Henry
01-24-2003, 12:28 PM
I recently did something similar with a burned out 4" belt sander. I used some of the gearing and wheels.

I also bought a new rolling pin and inserted a brass tube as an inner sleeve and use a steel rod to suspend it. Lithium grease keeps friction down and the wood seems to be holding up well. Brass doesn't seem to show wear (yet) but the sleeve is replaceable.

I built the frame from some 1" and 2" angle iron I bought from Lowe's. It came with 1/4" holes every 1/2" so it was easy to just bolt everything together. A simple spring and hinge assembly handles both trackign and tension. I got the idea from looking over other 2" grinders at Sears and seeing how Craftsman handled the problem - then I just combined the two items into one to cut down on redundancy and moving parts.

Mark Henry