View Full Version : Ats-34

a1archer4life
01-22-2003, 01:48 PM
Does anyone know if ATS-34 stainless is supposed to be magnetic I ordered some from Admerisl steel and when I just about finished my knife I noticed it was magnetic know I wonder if I got stainless or not

Thanks

Jamey Saunders
01-22-2003, 02:22 PM
Archer,

I have noticed when grinding stainless (440c mostly, but some ATS34) that the heat seems to induce magnetism in the steel. I can take a freshly ground blade and pick up steel filings with it. If you've used files much, you've probably noticed the same phenomenom.

If you're talking about checking the steel to see if a magnet will stick, stainless has some attraction to magnets, but not as strong as regular carbon steel.

Don Cowles
01-22-2003, 02:50 PM
ATS34 is definitely magnetic. I could be mistaken, but I believe it is only the 300 series stainless steels that are not.

cactusforge
01-22-2003, 06:25 PM
My understanding is that only magnetic stainless steel will harden enough to make it usable for knives.
Gib

jethro
01-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Hey guys, this may not be usable info for anyone, but here it is.

300 series stainless are not magnetic when they are annealed, but they can have varying degrees of magnitism if cold worked. You can take a 1/4" piece of 304 and put a tight 90 deg. bend in it and it will be magnetic in the bend area, but not magnetic away from it.

Some 400 series stainless is ferritic- magnetic, but not hardenable (409, 430), But most are martensitic- magnetic and hardenable.

A stainless that is not magnetic will not hold an edge.

Mike