View Full Version : Snakewood/Eagle GX6 Upgrade

Osprey Guy
01-20-2003, 02:35 AM
Hey guys-

I'm really excited about this...my first time to use damascus (and my first time to make my own bolsters from scratch)

The rest of the knife was completed a couple of weeks ago...I had been planning on adding the damascus then but had to put it on the back burned as I got ready for the Richmond Knife Show.

The wonderful damascus is from Bob Eggerling...I picked it up at the Baltimore Show...knew the second I spotted it I was going to use it with the snakewood I had recently acquired...I love the way the two go together.

I've been so anxious to "play" with damascus...I wanted to try all the tricks...especially heat color...I had originally planned on going "blue" with this set...however when I completed the Ferric Chloride etch and gave them a light sanding with 7000grit UltraSand (I love that stuff!)...I was so thrilled with the results I decided to leave well enough alone...

Hope you like this...I couldn't be more excited!

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/B3/2F/16024243-bde7-01DF017B-.jpg

I decided to shoot a pic of the spine again...with the new bolsters (the snakewood is not that red...then again not quite as dark as above either)
http://a4.cpimg.com/image/B4/2F/16024244-5e6c-01F8013E-.jpg

I'm working on a new knife...by far my most ambitious embellishment work to date. With that knife in mind I called Bob Eggerling and asked if the could send me some bolsters that could work with the folder as I described it to him...he sent me ten sets on memo!!!...and 2 bars as well!!...each pattern is teriffic...wish I could afford to keep all of them...most are very unique (such as the ones I used above)... and a couple of sets are even more one-of-a-kind in appearance. I'm really looking forward to trying out lots of new effects with this gorgeous steel...

Well, gotta hit the sack...

Dennis

Yeah Baby!:smokin

Roger Gregory
01-20-2003, 05:06 AM
Talk about filework! I hardly had a chance to glance at the bolsters and slabs.....

Very nice as always Dennis

Roger

Tim Adlam
01-20-2003, 06:44 AM
Nice use of materials Dennis!
Did you modify the screw heads into rosettes as well?
Neat effect!

Tim

Darren
01-20-2003, 10:17 PM
WOW! Dennis that is very nice, Great look with the wood and bolsters. Thanks for letting us have a look.

ron p. nott
01-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Dennis .. i guess i am going to have to step aside.. you are getting too great .. beautiful job. keep up the good work

Jamey Saunders
01-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Dennis,

That's beautiful. I loved the filework before, but now the bolsters and snakewood are stealing the show. I've always had a weakness for snakewood.

Great job.

Osprey Guy
01-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone...

I tried a number of new ideas on this knife...I got lucky as they all came together.

It's going to be tough to part with this one...though I'm happy to say it's already found a good home...

Ron-I'm a long, long way from catching up to you. Just a reminder,...when you get back from Reno and things settle down a bit, I want very much to jump back into the knifemaking lessons...;) I may be making good headway on embellishments, but I'm still a far cry from knowing how to make knives...

Dennis

PeterAtwood
01-26-2003, 04:10 AM
Very nice Dennis! You're doing some FANCY work! :)

bluwolf
03-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Dennis,

Speaking of lessons. I wish you were closer so I could get a couple of basic filework lessons to get me started. That is very cool.

Mike

Osprey Guy
03-06-2003, 09:15 PM
Mike-

You don't indicate in your member profile where you live...how far away are you from me?

I first started off myself by following the couple of tutorials up in the "how to's"...that, and lots of practice. I suggest picking up some cheap 1/8" weld steel from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. It's close enough in feel to the real thing at a tiny fraction of the price.

I still first try out new patterns on the weld steel before "diving in"...I'd hate to do all that work on the scales, bolster, etc and then screw it up by botching the spine's filework...Plan ahead, and make sure to practice...and then practice some more.

I also recommend frequently purchasing fresh files, as stainless in particular chews them up fast. Tough to do a good job without sharp files. I heartily recommend the needle files from Radio Shack...I've tried just about everything out there, and for about $7 bucks for a pack of 5 assorted files, these consistently give me the best bang for my buck. (Even the most expensive files will get worn out quick when filing stainless and/or hardened steel)...

I use the 3-side and half-round almost exclusively. Grind down one side of the file...that'll be your "safe" side...it'll also help keep your file edges nice and sharp if you lightly "refresh" that grind frequently... with the safety edge against your thumb, that can now serve as a guide for your file (without filing away your thumbnail ;)).

Dennis Greenbaum

PS. Almost forgot to thank you for the compliment...:D

bluwolf
03-07-2003, 04:14 AM
Thanks Dennis,

I really appreciate the good advice. I'll be making a stop at Radio Shack this afternoon. And Home Depot.

Have you ever used small diamond files?

And btw, I'm in Ft. Myers, FL. So, I doubt I'll be popping in on you unexpectedly. For now, I'll have to settle for long distance advice.

Is there any way to find out who or what is in my area, that is doing knifemaking, filework, etc?

Thanks again,
Mike

Osprey Guy
03-07-2003, 09:55 AM
With some exceptions, for the most part I don't much care for diamond files...too coarse. I do have some "micro-files" which I got from Micro-mark...they're supposed to be 220grit and have proved useful on occasion. I recently used them for some of the real fine detail carving for the flowers on my recent MOP GX6 folder.

I'm at work right now and don't have it handy, but the Knives Annual 2003 (or any year for that matter) has knifemakers listed by state in the back. It's helped me find other makers in Maryland...

My folks live in south Florida...I go down to visit from time to time...maybe I'll look you up next visit ;) ...

Dennis Greenbaum

Colin KC
03-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Excellent Dennis!

What does it look like closed? I only asked because it's the first folder I've ever wanted to see closed, don't know why:confused:

DC KNIVES
03-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Great work Dennis.Nice combination of materials.Keep it up.

Mike, check here for makers in your area:
http://www.floridaknifemakers.org/

Dave:D

Osprey Guy
03-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Thanks Dave-

I just got in a few minutes ago from the NY custom knife show. (Oh man...what an incredible and inspiring show!!!) I purchased a copy of that amazing new folder book and obtained quite a few signatures from many of the makers featured in the book.

One of my favorites...Tim Herman with a very simple:
"Dennis- Keep it up!- Tim Herman"...sound familiar? :D

Dennis Greenbaum

Bruce Bump
03-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Osprey, Thats a beauty! Nice work all around. Time for an all damascus folder.