View Full Version : questions

Jakedog
01-18-2003, 10:13 AM
#1 I saw sveeral weeks ago a posting (I can't remember where) listing heat treating methodologies for different steels. I have searched through the threads, even usinf the search engine but can not find the original posting. Can someone please pass along the link? I have finished profiling a small paring knife for the kitchen (my first attempt) and wanted the info. to finish it up. I have access to a muffle furnace so I can control the temp. fairly accurately.

#2 Was goiing to order Wayne Goddards $50 knife shop. When I went to the web page I saw that he also has another one called "The wonder of knife making." Is the $50 knifer shop a better book?

Thanks in advance

Bill

Jamey Saunders
01-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Bill,

Heat treating gets talked over a lot on these forums. As such, I can't remember the exact post you're referring to. However, if you let us know what steel you're using, we can give you the answer pretty quick.;)

Ray Rogers
01-18-2003, 01:28 PM
I believe this may be what you are looking for on the heat treat info:
http://www.cancom.net/~hnilica/metals.html

As for the books, the $50 Knife Shop is about how to build the tools you need for a shop, cheaply. The Wonder book is about knife making in particular.

Whaty, you only plan to buy one book in your knife making career? Get 'em both!

Jakedog
01-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Jamey,

Thanks for the answer.

The steel is A1 and I hope to complete this this week.
Ray,

Gosh I am stupid. You are correct, I should just go ahead and get both. Not sure what I was thinking.

I saw this same link earlier and it is close but not the one I am thinking about.

P.S. I truely like the looks of your kitchen knives, very fine work and I am sure they function great as well. I hope one day to be able to be that skilled.

Thanks to all,

Bill

KandS_KNIVES
01-18-2003, 06:50 PM
http://www.taosnet.com/ebear/metal/heattreat0.html#furn. This is what I use for HTing reference.
Ken (wwjd)

Ray Rogers
01-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Jakedog,

A1? I guess it could be but are you sure it's not A2? If it is, the link I provided covers that.

As for the kitchen knives, thanks for the kind words. You're riight too, they do work very well...:D And don't worry, just keep making knives, one after another, each one a little better than the last, and you can get anywhere you want to go in knife making....