View Full Version : anvil question

mastro
01-14-2003, 07:07 AM
:evil
A question for whoever: why European anvils look so different from American?
I've never seen a double horn anvil onAmerican magazines, or websites...
Neither I've seen the American type around Europe.
So my question is: is it due to any particular reason? Is it a matter of tradition only? Are they two different things finally?

Take your time to answer.

Ciao

Ray Rogers
01-14-2003, 10:46 AM
I'm not an expert on anvils but I have read quite a bit on them. The American style blacksmith anvil is basically an English design. Most anvils used here came from England in the early years. When we could make our own that's the pattern we followed.

The double horned anvils seem to be mostly German design. So, like you said, it's mostly tradition. As far as I can tell (and I'm not certain about this) the only uniquely American anvil might be the Farrier's anvils like the Mankel.

As far as design is concerned, that's about all I know or can guess. So, although it appears to me that the style of anvils most popular with American blacksmiths did not originate in America, we did improve considerably on how they are made and what they are made of. The Fischer company was the first to develope a method of making large cast steel - not cast iron - anvils. For many years then the best anvils in the world came from America. Now, of course, the technique Fischer developed are used everywhere but cast steel anvils are still the best no matter what pattern they are made in ...

mastro
01-15-2003, 01:13 AM
:cool: Dear Ray, your reply was really interesting from the historical point of view, especially for the information about the manifacturers of the past. Thanks a lot. Ciao