View Full Version : Boycott of 1 day meetings

Otha
01-13-2003, 03:26 PM
Me and Alan are boycotting the one day meetings. All the 1 day meetings are held west of reilgh. If there is any activity east of reilgh then no one shows up from the west side. This seems to be one sided and unfair to us guys on the eastern side. So we will attend the 2 day meeting but will not be @ the 1 day meetings.

Phillip Jones
01-14-2003, 11:49 AM
You have a valid complaint. Not everyone wants to spend 5 hours getting to a one day meeting and then haveing to take that same road back that night.

This topic will be brought to the forefront at the next meeting.
Hopefully, we can come to some sort of compromise.

Otha
01-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Thats all ask. Spread them out all over. I know Wayne has offered his shop and Travis is right next door. Plenty of space.

Thats is just an example.

Tommy

Barry Jones
01-14-2003, 11:56 PM
Tommy,
I am sad that this has to be brought up. However, I am inclined to agree with you and Alan. Some of the meetings are just too far away to travel to, especially for just one day. If only the state of NC were not as loooong as it is.

I will definitely take this before the Board of Directors at the meeting in 2 weeks. I will post what I find out.

Otha
01-15-2003, 07:03 AM
Thanx fellas.

Tommy

Andrew McLurkin
01-15-2003, 01:46 PM
We talked about having at least one meeting on the East Coast this coming year. Either Wayne's or Tim's shop. We've also talked about keeping two meeting at Montgomery Community College given the excellent facility. The meeting on the lake in Virginia at Norm's shop seems to be a favorite for those who attend and take advantage of the vacation like atmosphere. To bad we don't have a spot somewhere in between.

We'll have to brianstorm to see what other locations might be available. I guess we could move one of the Montomery Community College meetings. The January meeting has been held there because of the cold and the April meeting is our two day Annual Meeting that draws the largest crowd. Just my thoughts.

Let me know if you guys have suggestions.

Phillip Jones
01-15-2003, 05:48 PM
I think we should, at least, keep the two day April meeting at Montgomery CC.

Tommy McNabb
01-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Is it one day meetings or meetings at MCC that you don't like?

simmonsk
01-20-2003, 11:29 AM
HI Tommy,
From looking around myself, it looks like people are just more willing to travel to two day meetings. MCC is a wonderful meeting location, given the location, facility, and broad selection of hotels.
Everything is a long drive from Georgia, but MCC is one I don't mind making. Two day meetings there makes it even better.

I see such a broad range of talent in the guild that it seems like it should be possible to hold the quarterly meetings as 2 day training opportunities. Demonstrators could come with the understanding that they are not obligated to be there except for the time slot of their demonstration. That way they can pick a half day slot for being there and then stay or go as time permits.

Has anyone put pins in a map to see where the geographic center is of the ACTIVE membership? Seems like MCC is pretty close to that. At least the driving chores seem to be pretty closely distributed.

As to driving, the NCGuild is too valuable a group to split up over something as minor as this. I have strong interests in shooting, ham radio, computers, scouts, church, teaching and photography. The NCGuild is the ONLY activity that takes me out of state on my own nickel. And I don't even sell knives.

I guess this is the looooong way around to saying that if each meeting is a good learning experience, and the distance driven is less than our 5 hours, and the meetings are only quarterly, is there really a real problem here?

Anyway, see you Friday night....Ken
PS: Is it too cold to sit around the pool?

Otha
01-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Just the 1 day meetings that always seem to be on the west side of the state. Normally 5+ hours for us on the eastern side.

We are by no means suggesting splitting up the guild. Just would like to see a more spread out locations on 1 day meetings. And more perticipation of people from the west side when meetings are held closer to the east. I get the impression that most of the people from the west side of the state dont show up on this side only on there side of the state.

To drive 5+ hours for a 1 day meeting just is not worth the time when U look at the start time of the trip and the return time enjoy the meeting.

If some of the 1 day meetings were closer to us here on the east then making a 5+hour trip for 1 day meetings would not be as bad as they would not have to be made as often.