View Full Version : Camo Patterns problem

PrattBard
01-01-2003, 07:36 PM
I'm thinking of dying some of my sheaths in camo patterns. I got it planned out to random sketch it out with a swivel knife, then dye in the various colors. I have only one problem. How do I get WHITE? Do I have to use that cova paint? How is that going to look with dye? Personally the idea of painting Leather just seems tacky to me. Like painting fine wood. kinda defets the purpose of all that beautiful grain. I wanna make Urban camo, and red camo (I have a blade with a red handle that would look awesome in a red camo sheath) and for that I need some kinda white.
I like the idea, woodland should be simple enough (brown green black all common leather dyes), but urban and some of the others might be a problem cause they have white in them...Any imput will be appreciated!

Lara

Sandy Morrissey
01-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Lara-I am afraid I will not be much help here as paint on leather turns me off-- I chuckle when I see the deer hunters in my area all decked out in their camo outfits over which they must wear a flourescent ORANGE VEST. Yep, that sure does keep them hidden! Sandy

hammerdownnow
01-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Deer are color blind. The animals with the bullets however are not!:D

PrattBard
01-03-2003, 09:50 AM
Painting is what I DEFINATLY want to avoid. I hate to see fine oak furnature painted. Just seems like a todal waste of all that georgous grain. Kinda like taking Filet Minion and grinding it into hamburger. Defeats the purpose. I might just 80/6 the white part of the pattern, and use some darker and lighter reds instead. Should look just as good I think. I'll try on a scrap first see if it gets the look I'm after. I'll come up wiht something

PrattBard
01-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Well I tried, and it looked REALLY Cheesy. Hmm prehaps if I would have thinned it out a bit more so it was more translucent, and was more of a washed out look. But I thought the way it looked was really too kiddyish. I'd post some pic but I went over it already with some black to make sure it would cover ok. It did thankfully! I think the main problem was the green. I tried to darken it to tone it down. But it still was too Bright Kermit the Frog Green looking for my taste. Took you eye away from everything else. All ya really saw was the green. Not what I was going for!

Lara