View Full Version : Kershaw Blackout question

Guy Thomas
12-25-2002, 01:46 PM
Hi all, this seemed like the perfect place to post this question (I've seen Ken Onion post here!). My wife, bless her, gave me a new Blackout for Christmas. What a nicely designed knife! It has the thinnest and sharpest edge of any production knife I've owned and feels wonderful in the hand.

My only problem with it is that it is nearly impossible to open single handedly by pushing against the thumb stud. I have to essentially pry it open by putting my thumb between the stud and the handle. Once I get it started it of course pops right open with the torsion bar assist. Opening it this way is fine but the thumb stud its quite rough and is filing the back of my thumb nail away.

Is it normal for this knife to be so hard to open by pushing against the thumb stud? Is this a "breaking in" period? Is the pivot screw adjustable? I'd hate to have to get a new knife. If I have to keep opening it by inserting my thumb/nail between the stud and the handle I will have to take the thumb stud to my 2"x72" and smooth the knurling off to reduce wear and tear on my thumb nail.

Ken Onion
12-29-2002, 04:48 PM
I believe we answered your question when you posted the same problem on my forum .Thanks for asking .

Guy Thomas
12-30-2002, 06:02 PM
Yep, I'm all take care of now. It helps to read the instructions, the tip there was to keep the thumb on the handle while opening the blade. All it takes is a push toward the pivot pin with the thumb and it springs right open and the thumb stays out of the way.

The first thing my Dad said when we took the kids home to visit for Christmas was "You know that knife is illegal, don't you?" I explained the difference between this knife and a switchblade/automatic knife but he didn't seem to think it would matter, so I obviously failed to convince him. He didn't think I'd be able to convince a police officer either, let's hope I never have to.

I have to say I am completely happy with it's action now and the design. It is very light and very sharp so it makes for a great everyday carry knife.

whv
12-31-2002, 08:34 PM
by definition (federal law) a switchblade opens via activation of a button on the handle.

SkaerE
01-24-2003, 11:26 PM
i think state laws probably define switchblades differently than federal, although im not sure. always got to be wary of local laws too...