View Full Version : Sheath Gallery

DC KNIVES
12-17-2002, 08:29 PM
Just a thought, as I have been asked several times to send patterns to new makers.How can we make a small gallery of our work here in one place for all to see. A place where makers can get some ideas on new designs for them.We have some of the best here on the CKD and it would be great to see a photo archive of great sheaths.What's everyone think? Dave:)

Chuck Burrows
12-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Dave-
Sounds good to me as long as it's kept informal.
#### now here I go again volunteering! If other folks like this idea I'm willing to spend some time helping design/manage the web pages. My other job besides leather work is website design - I currently have 8 under my belt and have all the software tools to do it with. Would even consider hosting the space via my site if nothing else comes up. Or we could get one of the freebie sites as a host?
I don't think the gallery should have prices listed though just designs/pics and contact info. If somebody sees something they like they can get a hold of the maker for cost.

Anyway keep me posted.

Chuck

DC KNIVES
12-17-2002, 10:24 PM
Thanks Chuck , but I was thinking about a "sticky" here or a subforum.A website would be cool also but we owe alot to Alex and I think makers would be better served right here. Dave:)

Chuck Burrows
12-17-2002, 10:36 PM
Sorry I misunderstood. Wasn't trying to take any thing away from Alex, just didn't realize such a thing was possible here.
Chuck

MtMike
12-17-2002, 11:21 PM
Dave, I'm ready to play, but have zip-point-zero-hyphen-nada technical knowledge about how it would be set up. Maybe that's where Chuck's expertise can be helpful. Having said that, I think it's a great idea. Won't speak for others, but I'm guessing Leatherman will want to sit in on this game tto.
BTW Chuck, where do you plan to archive those great tutorials of yours? Here or on your website? (or is ol' Mikes memory playing tricks again -- I thought you had said something about putting them in a central location)
MtMike

Chuck Burrows
12-17-2002, 11:37 PM
I am slowly but surely redoing my website and as soon as possible will get them all archived there under a tutorials section. Been busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest recently (got four new orders in one week, all gun rigs but one has two knife sheaths too, so now I'm 4 months backordered - but I can use more:) !! - and with the holidays coming up haven't had much time.

BTW MtMike a guy from Denver emailed asking for a maker in Colorado who does plainer style pouch sheaths than mine and I recommended you. Did he get a hold of you?

I'll be glad to help out in whatever way I can vis-a-vis Dave's idea but I don't know much about doing stuff on the forum here. Maybe Alex could step up to the plate and give some advice/input?

Chuck

Sandy Morrissey
12-18-2002, 01:03 AM
Dave, my friend--I personally like the idea very much and I would very much like to participate in such an endeavour. I do believe that it would be a great learning tool for those knifemakers that would like to make their own sheaths. In my experience as a moderator in sheathmaking and leather forums on three forums (knifeforums.com, britishblades.com, and knifemakersguild.com) I have found out that most of the amateur leather workers are rather reticent about posting pictures of their work. I have practically begged for their participation with practically no response. I believe that a gallery of the nature you describe could be very functional if it were to utilize the knowledge of the professional leather craftsman as a nucleus to discussion of materials used, construction details and types of sheaths best suited for various knife styles. The average amateur does not usually have the experience necessary to address these concerns. It is not my intention to offend anyone, but too often I have seen advice tendered by a person that had probably finished his first sheath. He should have been seeking advice and not attempting to teach a subject about which he knew very little. Granted that even the pros once made their first sheath, liked the craft well enough to continue as a hobby or as a career and a livelihood. I would suggest for starters that a STRONG nucleus of sheathmakers of known quality
be approached for their participation. They would not have to be professionals but should at least be gifted in the craft. I am thinking of people like Chuck Burrows (Wild Rose), Dave Clark (DCknives), Gary Graley, maker of fine folder pouches, Ron Ryder, Kenny Rowe from Hope, Arkansas, Greg Gutcher of Sullivan Holster Shop in Tampa (Makes all sheaths for Randall Made Knives), Robert Schrap of Wisconsin, and others of similiar backgrounds. The format should not be of a discussion type but rather a question and answer type that would focus on teaching by experienced people. If not of this nature, the system would get clogged with trivia not pertinent to the intent of the program. All pictures of sheaths would be welcomed to be critiqued by the nucleus makers in an honest evaluation. These nucleus makers should, as often as feasible, post sheaths of exceptional merit and detail features, materials, and construction, including time saving tips. Pattern making should be shown and described as to different styles best suited for knives displayed. If a knife is shown with the sheath, the maker should be identified, if at all possible. Pricing of sheaths should be prohibited as there are other sites available for that purpose. As I have seen others write---that's my two cents worth!

leatherbender
12-18-2002, 09:29 AM
I like the idea, sometimes I get a little "artists block" and I need to look at something to get the creative juices flowing, so to speak. Having a place to go where there is a collection of leather work would be great!
Count me in if it works out.

DC KNIVES
12-18-2002, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys,I was thinking of it because when I started good pic's of sheaths were few and the method non-exsistant.Let's see what Alex thinks.I do think Sandy is right about prices, as I would not want this to be a for sale deal, just a learning experience and alot of fun.Dave Cole:D

tmickley
12-18-2002, 09:22 PM
I'm all for a sheath gallery. (I've resorted to having Sandy make sheaths for me so I can study and copy them.) Pictures of lots of different sheaths would be a great way to open discussion on various techniques used in fabrication.

DC KNIVES
12-18-2002, 09:37 PM
My thoughts exactly Tracy.As well you could ask for no better teacher than Sandy.Dave:)

Sandy Morrissey
12-18-2002, 10:30 PM
I had no sooner sent my last e-mail when I realized that I had referred to my good friend Dave Cole as Dave Clark, also a friend and knife maker. I had been thinking of Clark and wondering where he had disappeared to as I have not seen or heard from him in many moons----SORRY ABOUT THAT DAVE (COLE) At least you share the same initials! Sandy

KNAdmin
12-18-2002, 10:47 PM
Guys, I'm not ignoring this, just watching to see what the overall desire is.

Alex

Chuck Burrows
12-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Sandy thanks for including me in your list, but you forgot to include yourself in that list of fine makers.

I think this would be a great thing for the knife world in general. I know that in the last 40 odd years, often times inspiration has come from seeing other peoples work. Like most craftsmen I get blocked and just can't seem to come up with and idea, so I look around at other folks efforts and usually Voila there it is, just the nudge I needed.

I know some folks get upset when they see somebody "copying" their work but I've always figured that imitation was the sincerest form of flattery. Besides which I don't think anybody can ever completely make a copy of another person's work.

So whatever I can do to help count me in.

Chuck

Chuck Burrows
12-21-2002, 12:55 AM
Just keeping this current. Any one else want to chip in their two cents?

lifter
12-21-2002, 05:55 AM
I would love to participate in this, though please dont think I'm putting myself on the level with the names that were mentioned previously, I'm still a newbie.
Thanks to Dave Cole for thinking of me and inviting me.
Sorry I havent been around lately, it's been busy.

Dave

Roger Gregory
12-21-2002, 08:36 AM
I can say that I will be an eager viewer of the gallery/tutorials etc. My contributions are likely to be limited to "cor, that's good, how did you do that bit?" :)

One of the key differences between the CKD and most of the less custom oriented forums is that here nobody needs to be afraid to mention the mighty dollar. That's my delicate way of saying I think pricing should not be a forbidden topic. Obviously though that is a matter for Alex, Dogman and the participants.

Roger

RickNJ
12-21-2002, 10:35 AM
I too would like to see this happen. Being a newbie at sheath making, I would defintely like to see what all the other guys are doing.

Martyn
12-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Roger Gregory
I can say that I will be an eager viewer of the gallery/tutorials etc. My contributions are likely to be limited to "cor, that's good, how did you do that bit?" :)

Ditto that!

I'd love to see a sheath gallery, I've yet to make one of my own, so will surely be adding lots of "oooohhhh's" and "aaaaahhhhh's" to the wonders you guys do - but not much in the way of contrib's of my own - hopefully that will change in time.

Inspiration, I want inspiration. ;) :D :D

(actually, I want time/money/workshop/equipment/ etc, but inspiration is a good place to start.)

Bob Sigmon
12-21-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Martyn

Inspiration, I want inspiration.

(actually, I want time/money/workshop/equipment/ etc, but inspiration is a good place to start.)

Martyn,

It's that same on both sides of the pond!

Bob Sigmon

Ansoknives
12-21-2002, 04:14 PM
Great idea!...I will post a tread and make it "stick to the top"

I think that everybody should post pictures in it no matter skill!.......but I would sugget that we keep the tread "clean" for comments......I will start another tread for that..ok?

Chuck Burrows
12-21-2002, 04:39 PM
Jens-
Sounds like a winner. I think your right: should be just photos and maybe a brief desription.

Chuck

Ansoknives
12-21-2002, 05:18 PM
I really look forward to see where this will go!

DC KNIVES
12-21-2002, 07:09 PM
I would like to thank everyone for supportting this. Now we must make it work so pass the word.Thanks to Dave(Lifter) as he is becoming quite the sheathmaker and is a super guy as well.Thaanks,Dave.:D

Chuck Burrows
12-21-2002, 07:10 PM
Roger-
With all due respect I don't think that price should be discussed. IMHO I think price should only be taken up between the maker and the potential customers. Our contact info is there for all to see.

I think there is just too much potential for contention (why does he charge that, that guy is cheaper, etc), especially since there will be makers of all skill levels posting.
Admittedly I'm gun shy in regards to this matter because on one of the first posts ever placed regarding my work (granted it happened on another forum but...) the matter of my prices came up when a looker went to my website and then made a rude comment about them. It shocked me quite a bit and the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. I almost decided at that point not to join in on something that is now a brings me a great deal of enjoyment. A few of very nice folks involved with the forum including the moderator and Sandy Morrisey contacted me directly and convinced me that it was a fluke circumstance and they hoped that I would stick around. Well for better or worse I'm still here.

Respectfully yours-
Chuck
( Dang! I think I'm getting like Jason Cutter, can't seem to write less than 500 words.)

MtMike
12-21-2002, 10:05 PM
Just saw the first few entries in the 'sticky' -- guess I'm really gonna have to bug Santa for that digi-cam !!
Nice start guys !!
Hey sandy -- are you going to put up that 'convertible' of yours? Worthwile seeing again- and again
MtMike:)

Martyn
12-21-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Wild Rose

Admittedly I'm gun shy in regards to this matter because on one of the first posts ever placed regarding my work (granted it happened on another forum but...) the matter of my prices came up when a looker went to my website and then made a rude comment about them. It shocked me quite a bit and the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. I almost decided at that point not to join in on something that is now a brings me a great deal of enjoyment. A few of very nice folks involved with the forum including the moderator and Sandy Morrisey contacted me directly and convinced me that it was a fluke circumstance and they hoped that I would stick around. Well for better or worse I'm still here.

Chuck, I know I speak for many, many people when I say I'm delighted and honoured that you decided to get involved. Undoubtedly, there will always be someone who will complain - it's the nature of the beast. As my old grandma used to say, "there's nowt as queer as folk" - roughly translated that means it talks all sorts to make the world go round. The important thing is that you don't let these occasional remarks and "nay" sayers, colour your perception. Yours (and Sandy's) contributions to this forum are extremely highly valued. You are both master craftsman of the highest order and we know that! We are blessed to have you here. You share your knowledge freely, your advice flows with enthusiasm and a love for your craft which is plain to see. With the knowledge, experience, standards and skill you put into your work, I expect your prices to reflect that. Hell, that's reasonable isn't it? Some individuals will always have a contrary opinion - and voice it, even born of ignorance. Surely you know now the vast majority here, hold you and Sandy in the highest esteem. You can brush off those comments when or if you get them, with absolute confidence!

Here's one "pommy" that's ####ed glad you decided to stick around. When you answer one mans question, that advice is written for hundreds to see and reference in the future - how can you put a price on that? It's people like yourself and Sandy, that are the real solid gold resource here. It's a great thing, that a complete novice like myself, can rub shoulders with some of the worlds greatest craftsmen - and your unassuming approach is humbling!

By the way, this doesn't mean we're engaged or anything... ;) :D :D

Regards,
Martyn.

Chuck Burrows
12-22-2002, 02:24 AM
Glad to be here!:D :) :D ;) :) :p :D

Does that mean I have to give the ring back?

Chuck

Chuck Burrows
12-23-2002, 08:04 PM
Jens-

Have you heard anything from Alex regarding getting a new Sheath Gallery Forum rather than having just the sticky thread?

Chuck

Sandy Morrissey
12-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Hey, Martyn--- After a testimonial like that-- I will keep the ring. I don't want this to be a "one night stand" Sandy

Chuck Burrows
12-23-2002, 10:59 PM
Hey I thought I got to keep the ring! Of course if this is going to turn into one of those kinky European relationships........

And Sandy thanks to John Costa I now know what you look like-heck I'm older looking than you!

Chuck

Martyn
12-23-2002, 11:05 PM
Menage a trois?

Steady on chaps, this thread is getting far too wierd! ;)

I'm English you know, havent really got the European thing figured yet. :D :D

Chuck Burrows
12-23-2002, 11:10 PM
That's right that's those Frenchies!
(and before anybody says anything I'm a good portion French , well coonass French anyway)

Chuck

Martyn
12-23-2002, 11:18 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but would that be Arkansas way? Man that's beautiful countryside.

Sandy Morrissey
12-23-2002, 11:21 PM
Chuck, I always look better when I am being held erect and show my Sunday set of choppers-- John is quite a guy. He spent the greater part of the day with me today while I showed him how to terminally damage a square foot of leather. He seemed satisfied with the results but he has a real forgiving nature---Sandy

john costa
12-23-2002, 11:30 PM
I just love you guys. Especially you Sandy, a true friend. Some folks go thru life and never find good friends, we're fortunate to have many here on ckd. God bless you all and have a wonderful Christmas.

john costa

Chuck Burrows
12-23-2002, 11:33 PM
Sandy-
I'll just have to doctor it some more and make you look even better! Who knows maybe you'll wind up getting some groupies!

Martyn-
Coonass is a quaint term for Cajuns - the French who left Acadia back in the 1700's after them consarned British won the French and Injun War. They all wound up in the bayou country of southern Louisiana which was still French at the time. Hmmm seems my family on both sides been fightin' the british for a loooong time???? Should I like you or not:D :D (to paraphrase Doc Holiday)

Actually I've always liked English things like Holland & Holland guns, Jaguar cars (pre Ford anyway), the Two Fat Ladies, etc.

Good cheer mate-
Chuck

Chuck Burrows
12-23-2002, 11:42 PM
Stand by more coming up.
Check out the new post re: Sandy shortly!!
News at 11:00!!

Chuck

Martyn
12-24-2002, 12:07 AM

Martyn-
Coonass is a quaint term for Cajuns - the French who left Acadia back in the 1700's after them consarned British won the French and Injun War.

Ahhh, please accept my apologies.. ...and I'm sure that was the Kent regiment - beligerant lot ;) :D :D

Is that really a picture of Sandy - Looks like Hugh Hefner to me. :D :D

C'mon Sandy - you got something to tell us?

Chuck Burrows
12-24-2002, 12:22 AM
That's what I thought at first, but then I noticed he wasn't wearing pajamas.

MARTYN said: """Ahhh, please accept my apologies.. ...and I'm sure that was the Kent regiment - belligerent lot""""
Yeah it must a been that Kent Regiment, I heard they were bad news.

Chuck
PS I noticed you didn't use that neat little spellchecker (beligerant???)!

Martyn
12-24-2002, 12:26 AM

Chuck
PS I noticed you didn't use that neat little spellchecker (beligerant???)!

Do you mean spell-checker? Sure I did, I just have the "English" English dictionary installed. :p :p

Chuck Burrows
12-24-2002, 12:36 AM
Ah sooo! Forgot that you British spell funny sometimes. I should be used to it though because I used to live up on the Canadian border and watched the CBC and such all the time. They keep the King's English up there in Victoria, BC.
I of course use the good ol' Amurican version (I used it to 'make sure' of belligerent :p don't know why it didn't catch spell-checker)

Martyn
12-24-2002, 12:47 AM
Ha!

Gotta confess, before someone actually takes the time to check. Yeah, I spult it rung!
I'm Busted!! I actually have "Martyn's English Dictionary" installed. It's always right. ;)

####ed slippery evasive tactics though, what? :D :D

Sandy Morrissey
12-25-2002, 12:57 AM
Hugh Hefner and I like the same things, only I've been liking them longer-----Sandy

Martyn
12-25-2002, 01:13 AM
I've heard many people would like them longer? :D :D :D

Happy Christmas Hugh... erm, Sandy ;)

Sandy Morrissey
12-25-2002, 01:18 AM
So I have been informed----

Chuck Burrows
12-27-2002, 07:32 PM
Jens-
Have you heard any word on getting the Sheath Gallery turned into a forum instead of just a sticky? Just curious.

Chuck
PS Hope everybody had a great holiday. I sure did.

MtMike
12-30-2002, 12:31 PM
Here's one I did for an old friend, Lee Beene of Aurora Cutlery. Lee bought this beautiful Nichols fighter reproduction without a sheath, but he did have a sketch of the sheath, and I was able to find a picture of the original. Mine is pretty close to the original sheath, with the exception that the original had scalloped edges on the body of the sheath. Don't know much about the original Nichols fighter, except that it seems to be rare and pretty valuable. Lee was going to sell the knife once I finished the sheath, but decided to keep it. Fun project :)
MtMike

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/MtMike/Nichols%20Fighter%20Reproduction.jpg