View Full Version : Hey all,,,,,,,,

falconhawk
12-16-2002, 06:44 PM
Been on the forums for a while now but have not posted much expecially in areas that I have little knowledge, So, onwardQ

I have so questions oof some kind persons would be willing to impart thier knowledge and/or wisdom?

I was recently asked to engrave a Kersaw folding knife for a store owner. No problem so far, but I would like to have the rivits/pins out of the way. So should I persue dismantaling this knife and then fight to re-assemble it or would I be better off just leaving well enough alone?

I am planning to do some fine wire inlay to give a border to the bolsters and then some nice 'simple' engraving to add that certain touch of class to hhis knife. I can not afford to mess it up though and work needs to begin as soon as I can possibly get it done.

Thanks guys (in advance)

Falconhawk / Clyde

Tiaan
12-17-2002, 02:02 PM
You did not say which Kershaw model you have to work on. I once did some work on a Black Gulch (my own).

The bolsters and liner is a one piece job, machined, beadblasted? and anodised aluminium. I put some 1200 grit scratches on the bolsters, about four years ago, and those scratches are still brighter than the surrounding metal.

I would recommend that you tell us which knife you have to work on, and if it is in any way anodised aluminium, go at it very carefully!

Tiaan

falconhawk
12-17-2002, 03:15 PM
I have no clue as to the model. I will send a skan to Bob Sigmon and see if he will post it for me.

Falconhawk

Bob Sigmon
12-17-2002, 04:40 PM
Posting this for Falconhawk . . . .

http://www.fototime.com/074A7BF9E7C5E33/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/80E7DBD3AD9FE00/standard.jpg

Very nice checkering job!

Bob Sigmon

whv
12-17-2002, 05:12 PM
(hijack on)
just noticed a new name and wanted to welcome tiaan burger to the forums!
(hijack off)

Tiaan
12-18-2002, 02:04 PM
Okay, that is very similar to the one I did. The metalwork is aluminium, the "checkerwork" are two plastic slabs. They are stuck on with some gooey stuff (it goes gooey after spending three years in 40 deg C average day temp!)

Pop the knife in a jar of acetone and leave it overnight. The slabs will come off easily. Each has two little buttons underneath, matching little holes in the liner.

The metalwork on there is beadblasted, anodised Al. Be very carefull not to scratch it!

My advice would be not to disassemble it as it will be very difficult to peen new pins without damage to the bolsters. I've made around 100 folders and I still manage to put a ding or two on every second or third knife. Mostly impatience, I guess!

Post a pic or two as you go along...

Tiaan

falconhawk
12-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Thank you so much. I can actually 'see' where the 'pins' on the back of the plastic scales are. I found out about it being aluminum last night. I decided to go ahead and start engraving it. (yeah I know, Impatient.....lol) so I discovered the bolsters were aluminum at the first cut. I decided to use my own version of 'English scroll' for the engraving on the knife and the first bolster is almost finished as of this post. Also, in case anyone should ask again, the pins are peened low enough that the gravers with a 45 deg. face and a 15 deg. heel will clear them. (so far).

The only word of caution that I would pass on, is go slow. This stuff cuts too easy and the GRS 901 hand piece is almost too much power for them.I do not think that I will be trying any inlay on this knife. As to postings, heheheh think I'll wait till it is done and then post the finished product (at least the engraving part) as I am waiting on the handle scales to be cut and sent to me. I am going to be useing Ironwood to replace the plastic scales. They will be epoxied in place and will have 'false' pins for show.
I am also considering doing some fine wire inlay in the ironwood scales.

Falconhawk / Clyde

Bob Sigmon
12-23-2002, 03:47 PM
Posted for FalconHawk . . . .

http://www.fototime.com/32428B3090F4CC7/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B3DFA0D5F471ECA/standard.jpg

Clyde,

Nice job on the engraving. The customer should be very happy.

Fill in the details!

Bob Sigmon

falconhawk
12-23-2002, 06:36 PM
This knife is going to be on display in a sporting goods shop in Yamhill, Oregon. It is (as stated above) a Kersaw Folding knife. I did this knife for the owner of the shop (no charge) as He wanted somthing to have on display as well as somthing to take to a local trade show with him in February. If I have the materials for it by then I will be replacing the scales with Ironwood and adding fine wire inlay to the scales. Only part of the work that was 'pre-laid out' was the spines of the scrolls. All of the leaves are cut freehand as the mood moved lol.

Sorry bout the lack of definition in the pics, all I have available at this time is a scanner and if I increase the definition then we would have had too large of a file to work with.

Hope you all like it.

Falconhawk