View Full Version : Wave's

critter
12-16-2002, 12:28 AM
Not wanting to make any, but I have tried the search function and cannot seen to find any posts on how to make the wave pattern in the back spine. Can anyone help me with this info, or at least point me to a thread.
I already brought a 2 month old thread back up from the grave, so I'm trying to stop while I'm ahead.
Thanks
Bill Z.

KNAdmin
12-16-2002, 01:17 AM
Bill,

Hang in there partner ... help is on the way!

Now all I have to do is find the Kit Knife Posse ... :)

Alex

BigDB
12-16-2002, 03:48 AM
Try this:
filework patterns (http://www.knifeart.com/filbycurmwil.html)

Good luck
Dan

Osprey Guy
12-16-2002, 09:15 AM
This is a tutorial I posted awhile back on making the "S" pattern. Just don't do the follow-up "cuts" in the pattern and you'll have the wave. The size of the wave is determined by the size of your intervals...that's strictly up to you...

Go here for the tutorial:
http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9027

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions as my explanation may have rambled somewhat the night that was originally posted...:D

Dennis

Yeah Baby!:smokin

SharpByCoop
12-16-2002, 09:28 AM
Hey Bill,

Welcome! What's a 'wave' pattern??? :) I'm stumped.

Check out this thread: Filework questions (http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10059&pagenumber=1) It should help. Pick out a pattern that you are referring to.

But, I only know how to do about three styles, so *I'm* no help! :D

Coop

critter
12-16-2002, 11:33 AM
All of you have been a great help. Any time someone mentions 'files' my ears perk up, and when I find out it involves metal, I'm really interested.
I've seen some fantastic work browsing through this sight, and it looks like the kits from www.knifekits.com are popular and of great quality. I think that is where I will start. I can see now that I have to, actually 'get' to buy some more files now. I've got quite a few now, but I noticed in the one article I read that chainsaw files are helpful and that some mod's have to be made to other files. Most of what I have right now are for some amature pistolsmithing I do, so I cannot really modify any of them.
Any other 'must get' tools that make life easier?
Osprey, I haven't had a chance to read your 'article' yet, but I've seen your work here in the forum. It was one of your more recent knives that got me real interested in the pattern of the backspline. I'm sure it will be a good read.
Thanks again everyone.
Bill Z.

critter
12-16-2002, 11:44 AM
I do have another question along the same subject, how 'deep' in the backsplie and channel liners does the filework go. I can see how far it goes into the sides, but is ther a commen depth, is it through to the bottom of the liners and backspline?

Osprey Guy
12-16-2002, 01:00 PM
The simple answer to that question is:
Just deep enough to get the effect you desire. For the most part I'd say no need to go much deeper than a 1/16" if even that. But every once in awhile, I'll "attack" from a steeper angle to create more shadow...therefore more drama. Start shallow and go deeper as you get the hang of it. You can always take away, but once you've gone too deep, well...

Be careful around your screw holes though...don't want to mess with them. You need to take that into consideration when "mapping out" your pattern...

I do initial work with my Dremel as I'm very proficient with it. But I do most by far with my needle files...almost exclusively with the half-round and the three-side (aka triangle) with a side ground off as a "safety" side.

Recently I added micro-files to the mix...nearly half the size of needle files.

You need lots of sandpaper, and I strongly recommend picking up a set of rubber "tadpoles"...they're especially great for finishing up behind the half-round file. I get mine at Woodcraft...one of my favorite "hangouts" ;)

And of course this is impossible without good optivisor or the like...I like mine at 2 1/2x which puts the work at about 8" away. I picked up an extra, inexpensive visor this past weekend at a gunshow with multiple lenses and a loop that drops down for further magnification. So far seems to be working really well...not bad for $8 bucks!!!

Check out Micro-mark for small tools...sometimes they have sales which help...

The most important part is in the last 5%...the finessing. You'll learn how to even the pattern with practice...speaking of which...pick up a piece of 1/8", cheap weld steel at a Home Depot or the like. Practice your intended pattern on that first before cutting into your good knife...trust me, this is a very good habit to get into when it comes to new patterns...

Good luck...be glad to help with any further questions...

Dennis

critter
12-16-2002, 01:15 PM
'Tadpoles'- is that the same as the craytex bit's? I usr those for some finish work on some pistols. They are kind of like hard pencil earasers with an abasive imbedded. I've even tried cutting them flat on the tip and have done a little jeweling with them.

Osprey Guy
12-17-2002, 12:05 AM
Tadpoles are made of rubber and from the side, are literally shaped like a tadpole and come in various sizes...mostly driven by the diameter of the round/oval shape at one end.
They are typically about 2" X 3" in size...

You wrap a small piece of sandpaper around the entire tadpole and then sand away making use of the shape of the hard rubber underneath. I can't imagine fine-finishing the curves in a wave pattern without using a small diameter tadpole. Check with Woodcraft (or any good woodworking place), they'll know what I'm talking about...

Dennis

critter
12-17-2002, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info on that. I'll certainly check into it. Now, to shoose my first project. I think the DDR-1 folder is going to be it. Hope you guys don't mind a lot of questions, I promise I'll use the 'search' function first though.