View Full Version : Mike Zscherny drop point hunter

Tim Adlam
12-13-2002, 03:45 PM
Just finished.

Elk scene with 24k gold inlay.
Thick and thin borders.
Monogram and gold inlay on reverse side.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/standard?pictid={94D988A2-8041-4B5A-9D1D-F2834310D206}

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/standard?pictid={D578A461-0E76-493F-B6F1-6075AFBA93F9}

http://www.fototime.com/{2B5147B4-FA0B-4C3A-8420-CB30ED3283C2}/picture.JPG

Knifemaker, Mike Zscherny.
Bocote handle scales, 416 bolsters, 440 stainless blade and tapered tang.

Commissioned by the recipients wife as a Christmas present.

NOW that's true love! :D

Tim

( He was also my hunting pard in Colorado this past season...boy is he gonna' be surprised!) :eek:

Don Cowles
12-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Beautiful work, Tim!

Bob Sigmon
12-13-2002, 05:30 PM
Tim,

Fantastic Work! What a classy piece. He's gonna be real happy.

Bob Sigmon

Darren
12-13-2002, 05:36 PM
Tim: Very nice knife and engraving, just the right touch of gold, it sets off the rest of the knife and engraving just right. I like the fact that you kept it simple and clean. Not over embelished. Somtimes less is more. This will be one great christmas present. Maybe I'll drop some hints to my wife for next year. ;)

Joe Mason
12-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Hi Tim,
Did you use gold wire or sheet for the inlay on this knife? THis is a great looking knife.

Joe Mason

Roger Gregory
12-14-2002, 06:51 PM
Stunning work Tim. Nice knife too. Something tells me your friend will not be carrying this knife in the field when you hunt with him :)

Roger

KNAdmin
12-14-2002, 07:05 PM
Stunning!

Alex

Tim Adlam
12-14-2002, 07:52 PM
Thanks all,

Joe, I used sheet gold for the inlay.

I had a basic idea about how I wanted to handle the design. Starting with the thick and thin border as a frame of sorts. The problem area was the guard. The inlayed leaf shape solved it for me. I had the concept for the elk in mind already. Actually the difficult part was designing the monogram.
You see...certain letters and font styles will not look too good together. I felt that script lettering wouldn't pull it off using the "S's".
His wife and I agreed that using only his first and last initials...BS...:p ...was also not the way to go!
So a formal style of monogram was chosen. The font style is my version of "La France". I think its more interresting than the traditional "Old English" engraving font.

Tim

Jim Small
12-14-2002, 08:04 PM
Tim

Just Beautiful......
Very well done as usual.....we would not expect any less!

I have no idea were you went on your walk-about a couple of weeks ago....but, I am sure a few of us would be willing to keep you company.

Welcome back........and keep that engraving stuff coming. By the way, great photos.

Thanks
Jim Small

ron p. nott
12-14-2002, 08:39 PM
Hi tim ... very very nice work you are real good at figures .. that is one of my weak areas..ron

Osprey Guy
12-14-2002, 09:08 PM
Tim-

This is really well executed...

I especially like the way the gold breaks out from the squared "frame"...adds a dimensional effect, real drama! A simple, albeit well-done knife, has just been made a whole lot more special with your touch.

This is one heck of a nice xmas gift...

Dennis

Yeah Baby!:smokin

Tim Adlam
12-14-2002, 10:06 PM
Thanks again,

Wildlife art is one of my many passions...:)

My walkabouts allow me the opportunity to integrate that passion to my engraving. I don't think I could do one without the other.
A knife like this...to me... expresses the majesty of the animal, the ritual of the knives purpose in the "hunt" and the personalized spirit in which it is given.
I can't perceive it getting much better than that!

These are the fun projects to do.

Tim

Tim Adlam
12-14-2002, 10:34 PM
http://www.fototime.com/{2F39A5AB-C95F-40D7-9EE1-2EA71F335A90}/picture.JPG

Jim,
You were curious about my last adventure???

Sunrise on Perch Lake, about 40 mi south of Lake Superior. Temperature approx. 12 below zero when this photo was taken.

Anybody wanna' come along next time???...:p ...:eek:

BrianT
12-14-2002, 11:02 PM
Tim

That is some pretty amazing work. The elk is beautiful. Is the elk engraving derived from a picture, or is it something you have been carrying around in your mind for a while? The detail is extraordinary for the small area. Thanks for the pics and the inspiration.

Brian

Tim Adlam
12-15-2002, 12:03 AM
Brian,

The elk is a composite of several images. The landscape is from a hunt many years ago into the Rio Grande Natl. Forest in Colorado. I keep a "morgue" of pictures on different species and the elk is made from different elements of those pictures. ie; the pose can come from one image, the antlers from another, eye, ear, nose etc. Put it all together to make the best representation of the animal and the mood you're trying to convey. In the end...you hope it all works together. the fact that I hunt...I hope, lends truth to the image also. A duck is not "just" a duck to a duck hunter...if you know what I mean!

Tim

Joe Mason
12-15-2002, 09:16 AM
Tim,
What method of transfer did you use to get it on the metal? With parts from so many different place, Did you put them together before going to the metal or do this this in stages? Would like to do some animal scenes and looking for a starting place.
Thanks
Joe Mason

Tim Adlam
12-15-2002, 09:42 PM
Joe,

This is how I approach animal scenes.

The idea or pose comes first. Then I search the "morgue" for something that might work. I hand draw the basic outline of the animal directly to the metal and lightly scribe it in. I don't worry about detail at this point. I start on the landscape next. The landscape is engraved to about 90% completion. I'll start to define the animal shape within the context of the landscape. I'm working the engraving of the animal from the outside-in. The location of the eye and the detail of the nose and ear are next. I just indicate their position and shape with a few engraving cuts. The antlers, which are a big focal point on an elk, are refined but not overworked. Now its on to the dark areas that define the shape of the animal, like behind the front shoulder, ear folds, neck hair, muscles, etc.
I use those values to gauge the rest of the shading work. From here on its working back and forth between the animal and the landscape.
At some point...I decide thats far enough. My biggest concern is overworking the whole thing...so I try to approach cautiously.
Sometimes you have to step back and look at it from a different perspective...maybe come back in a day or two...there may be something that needs adjusting that wasn't obvious before. Eventually...you have to sign-off and let it stand on its own.

I hope this helps...there are many ways to the same end...this is mine.

Tim

Joe Mason
12-15-2002, 10:23 PM
Thanks Tim for your detailed answer. Have been practicing on some animal heads trying to use dots and nicks to shade them with. Wish there was a book on these shading techniques, but don't think so. Will keep working on it.

Thank again for you help
Joe Mason

Tim Adlam
12-15-2002, 10:46 PM
Joe,

Actually there is a book...although it doesn't deal with engraving technique...the principles apply just the same.
The book titled...The Technical Pen ...written by Gary Simmons and published by Watson-Guptill publications...deals with line and dot technique. Its a great start for learning to build images using the graver as one would use a pen.

Tim

Joe Mason
12-16-2002, 07:58 PM
Thanks Tim,
Will get to looking for this book. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Joe Mason

Tim Adlam
12-16-2002, 08:32 PM
Joe,

Try your local art supply store or a bookseller. They may have other titles that you may find useful too.

Tim

whv
12-17-2002, 07:43 PM
very nice work, tim. i can almost hear the whistle :eek:
thanx

Don Cowles
12-24-2002, 07:16 AM
Tim, I am now the happy owner of "The Technical Pen". Super book! Thanks for the tip, and a very merry Christmas.