View Full Version : stitch

Saint Mark
12-01-2002, 02:34 PM
Just finished Ed Fowlers's book on knives and he does and interesting stitch on his sheaths. Does anyone who has the book know how it is done?

Chuck Burrows
12-01-2002, 04:02 PM
Can you scan a pic and post it?

Saint Mark
12-02-2002, 09:18 AM
Sorry I do not have the means. The best way to describe it = interlocking tear drops with the point down.

Chuck Burrows
12-02-2002, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a chain stitch. It's a common embroidery stitch.
Here's a link to doing it on cloth. You should be able to figure out how to adapt it to leather.
http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/en/1/howembfrechn.html

I've used this as a decorative stitch on leather but never as seam stitch.

Hope this helps. Chuck

DC KNIVES
12-02-2002, 07:06 PM
Chuck, I believe it is a chain stitch.I know I have never tried it .Yet!! Dave
Here's a pic of Ed's sheath
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/TPHaller/EF_Knife_2.JPG

Chuck Burrows
12-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Thanks Dave-

It's definitely a chain stitch. As I said above I've used it for deco work, but to be honest (and with all due respect to the very talented Mr. Fowler) I wouldn't recommend it for a seam like this. If the thread breaks anywhere along the seam it's going to have a tendency to unravel and since it is only a single thread it will eventually unravel all the way. I've had the exact problem occur when I used it as a deco stitch on pouch faces where the back and top of the thread is exposed as here. It's a pretty stitch but I would use it cautiously. I now use it exclusivley around inlays that are then glued down to a base.

Respectfully

Chuck

Saint Mark
12-03-2002, 08:06 AM
That makes sense - what sitch do you recommend?

Chuck Burrows
12-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Most handsewers use the saddle maker's stitch (aka harness stitch). See my previous post "Keeping Your Holes Straight Part Deux" in this forum for a mini tutorial on how to do it.
The stitch kit I mention is on sale at Tandy's through the end of December for only $19.99.

Chuck