View Full Version : Some Engraving questions

PeterAtwood
11-24-2002, 01:32 PM
I was visited by a firearms engraver yesterday. He works for Smith and Wesson and his work was breathtaking in my estimation. At any rate, he told me that he prefers working on stainless steels and has had bad experiences with titanium. I gave him a scrap of 6Al4V anyway to see what he could do on it.

He would like to have a small knife made so that he could engrave it. My question is, how do you go about heat treating such a knife? The gentleman insisted that the engraving be done before heat treat and he mentioned that he would be interested in doing the blade. What I'm wondering is how to keep the blade from warping during heat treat, how to clean the blade after heat treat without messing up the engraving and any other particulars that I'm forgetting. I generally grind my blades after heat treat because I've had trouble with warping if grinding before heat treat.

BTW, when you guys do the beautiful gun barrels and cylinders, those must be in the hardened state, no?

ron p. nott
11-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Hi Pete i will trty to help you out... i do a lot of engraving on guns i specialize in colt saa. the barrel and the cylinder on these guns is not hard so engraving them ( with the wright type of chisels ) is very easy i also engrave and gold inlay 6al4v ti. engraves fairly easy . ti is very hard to gold inlay but it can be done . now when you heat treat your blades do them in a very tight wrap so no air can get in . after heat treating take some 600 grit to het the color off before buffing . also try to polish your blades before heat treating they will clean up a lot easier after heat treating .. well i hope i was able to help .. O. i also make hi art folders. hope to see every body in reno jan 31 to feb 4