View Full Version : Looking for Hollow Grinding Attachment.

ACCCOP
11-18-2002, 03:34 PM
This is my first post to this forum, and I appreciate all the work put into this site.

I am looking for a hollow grinding attachment such as the one made by Reba's Enterprises. I am new to the craft and am having a hard time with the hollow grind. If anyone has one they would like to get rid of please let me know. Thank You.

Bob Warner
11-18-2002, 03:40 PM
If you were to searh the CKD forum, you will find that almost everyone recommends grinding freehand. Most attachments don't work as well as you would hope. Knifemaking like many other things takes a lot of practice, NOT jigs and attachments.

I am not telling you not to get the attachment if you want one but you will be better served to go without it and just keep working on your skills.

Just my two cents.

BigDB
11-18-2002, 04:45 PM
I'm with Bob, I too wanted to get the jig when I was very first starting, but after reading several posts here, I passed. I had a hard time of it, seems that is par for the course, until I bought Johnny Stout's video on hollow grinding. It helped me tremendously and immediately. I recommend it and then a lot of practice. I have yet to send a blade out for heat treat, but I am getting satisfactory grinds, just looking to improve before I put my first all mine together. I see you live in Texas, there seems to be a lot of makers down there, perhaps you could check on going to someone's shop for some hands on training. Good luck, and say Hi to Nolan Ryan for me:D
Dan

Kelly Carlson
11-20-2002, 09:34 PM
I agree with the prior remarks about taking the time to learn how to grind freehand.
However, I do have a hollow grinding attachment from Reba's, with vertical adjustment and tapered tang attachment, all purchased about a year ago, and used once.
Since buying it, I decided I really prefer flat grinds, and took the time to learn how to produce good results freehand.
I'll sell it for 25% less than I originally paid.
Let me know by separate email if you're still interested, and I'll look up my price paid, and answer any other questions about it.

dogman
11-25-2002, 09:47 PM
Koval Knives sells them:

http://www.kovalknives.com